The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147160 - 04/26/08 12:40 AM Re: Diverticulitis and me.
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Good nite, Dotsie!!! Hope you sleep well and for a long time!!!

#147161 - 04/26/08 12:52 AM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: humlan]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Nite (again) Dots...sleep tight. God is watching over you and yours.

Love ya gal, JJ

#147162 - 04/26/08 04:07 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
How are you feeling today, Dots?

#147163 - 04/26/08 05:57 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: Edelweiss]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Dots..the old crone here is going to give you some advice..but of course, you do what feels best.

I have been thinking of the diet high on fibers and water that your doctor recommended..I am sure it´s probably right for you..but do it slowly. OK? Don´t change anything radically too fast..because your poor overtaxed intestines can react to that,too. Kinda take it slow and see what your body tells you to do..eat fibers that you like and that your body knows..add new things slowly and carefully..

Only my thoughts, Dots! I hope you are feeling ok today???

HUGS!!!

#147164 - 04/26/08 06:54 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: gims]
akadarr Offline

Loc: Virginia
My brother has divertisulitis. Six months ago they finally cut out about 7 inches of his colon. After several months they reattached his colon and he's doing great. The doctor told him he can eat anything he wants to now. When his divertisulitis acted up he was in extreme pain, so my prayers go out to you Dotsie. By the way, he couldn't eat popcorn, corn, peanuts, anything with seeds would get stuck in those little pockets.

#147165 - 04/26/08 07:36 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: akadarr]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
As someone who has suffered with stomach aliments since I have been 18, I certainly sympathize with you, Dotsie. It is not fun to have stomach pain. My husband has diverticulitis too. He had a colonoscopy to verify. He has no special diet to follow. Doctor told him that everyone can react differently to different foods, and he is best judge about what he can eat. I might add, too much fiber and drinking lots of water right off the bat can create......consequences. Do you eat allot of yogurt? Yogurt is good for the colon. And if you, ummm, ....suffer from allot of gas, taking a Acidophilus tablet first thing in the morning, about 10-15 minutes before you eat helps tremendously...or any digestive enzyme will help too. Acidophilus is good for the colon and also in helping to prevent colon cancer, which my dad died from..... his colon perforated from the cancer.

#147166 - 04/27/08 01:40 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: gims]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I've known people with that. They say seeds, popcorn, nuts and stuff like that get caught in the pockets of the intestines.

#147167 - 04/27/08 03:10 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Dotsie, I'm so sorry you're having this problem. Dr. Weil, who is the head of the Integrative Medicine Center at the University of Arizona, and who has saved me and my partner from unnecessary surgery in the past, has this to say about diverticulitis:

"In the past, many doctors recommended that people with diverticulosis avoid foods with small seeds such as tomatoes or strawberries because they believed that the particles could lodge in the diverticula and cause inflammation. While there's no evidence supporting this idea, some people do find that eating nuts and seeds during an attack of diverticulitis can be irritating to the inflamed intestinal lining, so I would suggest staying away from them. If you're prone to diverticulitis but not having an attack, I think it's fine to experiment with some seeds or nuts to find out whether or how much you can tolerate these foods. Another important strategy to prevent an attack is to add other types of fiber to your diet in the form of wheat bran or psyllium. You can buy powdered psyllium seed husks at health food stores without the sweeteners and dyes found in drugstore products. Be sure to drink plenty of water when you're taking these bulking agents. You also may feel better during diverticulitis attacks if you take a stool softener such as Dialose, Colace, or another brand containing docusate, a drug that is available over-the-counter. Try to relieve stress through deep breathing exercises, yoga, or other stress-reduction methods.

In addition to dietary and lifestyle changes, you may find that drinking a daily cup or two of gruel made by mixing one teaspoon of slippery elm powder with one teaspoon of sugar and two cups of boiling water can help soothe irritated gastrointestinal tract tissues. Another herbal option for the lower intestinal tract, especially if cramping is a problem, is oil of peppermint in enteric-coated capsules. Alternatively, you may get some relief by taking aloe vera gel after meals. Follow directions on the package, but stay below the dose that causes any laxative effect."
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#147168 - 04/29/08 06:47 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: yonuh]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dotsie, I've been gone for a few days and just read this. Hope you're feeling better now!

Poet and essayist

#147169 - 04/29/08 08:43 PM Re: Diverticulitis and me. [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for all the great advice ladies.

yonuh, I'm printing your post as we speak. I have to make an appointmenst with a gastroenteroligist. I plan on taking your post with me to get his opinion.

I'm learning lots just by asking.

I've heard there are enzymes I can take to prevent. Also probiotics.

I intend to have a food allergy blood test done also.

I'll let you all know what I end up doing for prevention.

I've talked with four doctors who say that eating seeds and nuts is fine. There is no higher occurance in the people who avoid them compared to those who eat them. I find that hard to believe.

My stomach pain has subsided. My probelm now seems to be from the heavy dose of antibiotics. Yuk. I feel like I could gag at any moment. But I won't complain becasue the infection is so much better! I'm finished with the meds on Friday and am hoping to be back to walking and rowing Saturday. I feel like a trapped rat!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved