The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 66 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#145266 - 04/29/08 05:18 AM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: dancer9]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Thank you Eagle Heart,
Thank you dancer9

I am going to go to the doctors again to let her know what this past weekend was like. It was scary. Most of the time I am ok. Before my Dad passed away I would handle things quite well and was fairly easy going and hopeful. I guess because I'm still in grief mode the depression I feel at this time of the month is exaggerated.

I appreciate your taking the time to share with me Eagle Heart. I will try to focus more on the good. I did have a grateful list somewhere. It's time to write another one.

Many thanks
Kate

#145267 - 04/29/08 12:44 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: katebcca]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Kate, you know how much I care. If I sometimes come on too strong, it's because I know that quicksand too well, and I know how quickly it can reach up and grab us by our mangled thinking and suck us into a precarious place that takes so very long to crawl back out of. I know how hard it is, especially when you add grief to the mix. And how almost impossible it is to see any light and goodness when we're walking blind in that dark fog. But it does help, eventually. It's a good idea to check in with your doctor, and don't be shy about telling her just how dangerous and frightening it was for you.

(Maya Angelou)

#145268 - 04/29/08 08:37 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kate, Eagle gives the best advice, doesn't she?

I wasn't even grieving when my moods changed during peri-menopause. I shared how intense my moods were and everything else that was going on with my cycle, and my doctor put me on the pill. It's worked like a charm.

I know this is controversial. I won't stay on it forever, but for now a low dose of the pill has just enough estrogen to keep me happy.

Perhaps this is another option.

#145269 - 04/30/08 02:39 AM Re: Hormonal Swings
katebcca Offline

Thanks Dotsie,
I will talk to my doctor about this. I never could tolerate the pill when I was younger though so it may not work for me.
Still it's another thing to discuss with her.

Kate

#145270 - 04/30/08 06:07 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: hotflashgal]
Bobbi Offline

Ah, "Cool Hugs", I like that. Hello sister/friends. I'm new to this site and am in the throws of menopause. I've been doing tons of research and am finding some natural herbs that are helping me. It's great to be on a forum with such yummy women.
Thanx so much! Bobbi

#145272 - 05/02/08 01:38 AM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: ]
katebcca Offline

What is really weird is that I feel so much better today, the day after my period ended. They are getting longer and heavier.

I cannnot go through another one like the last one so am going to go to the doctors for sure. Today I have all the same problems, grief, job issues, house issues, personal issues and was able to handle them today. These problems didn't even seem that bad.

It's hard to believe that last week I was a crying mess, sleeping all the time and full of anxiety over my situation.
It's like I have two personalities and I don't like it. It was really scary.
Kate

#145273 - 05/02/08 04:26 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: katebcca]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Katebcca, I had your symptoms before I started menopuase, that is, before my period stopped. I am in my forties but my period stopped a year and a half ago.

I had such heavy periods that I would soil my clothing despite all the protection I used! They were scary and awful. I didn't ever get a DX on it but I just lived through that and stayed worried.

After those massive periods, my period started to go for days and days, like it never really stopped. Finally, the end of the saga: They stopped! I went from having those frightening periods to none!

I hope you feel better soon and don't worry too much, they may not find much as with me!

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#145274 - 05/02/08 05:39 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: dancer9]
katebcca Offline

I will be 52 this year and still get my monthly period.
The flow is terrible, so much so that I can't go to work on some of the days. The first one is ok but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th are brutal. I can't sit down without flooding everywhere and have to change even during the night at least four times, put a large towel on the bed etc.

I thought my period would have stopped by now. Even with that, the part that worries me the most is the incredible depression. It's hard on my kids. I go from making dinner, cleaning up the usual mother type stuff to not being able to make dinner, clothes piled all over the house, dishes not done and me in bed not able to get up. Plus there is the feeling that I just want to give up, no hope, everything is horrible and I have a huge dark rain cloud hanging over me.

This is the worst part.
Kate

#145275 - 05/02/08 05:56 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: katebcca]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Kate, you will be seeing a doctor soon, won't you? What you describe along with the depression is not necessarily normal....or it could be for you. Please, please see someone who's in the know with women our age and describe it all as you have here. Maybe you should be checked for other things like fibroids. Have you had this problem for a long time or is more in recent months?

#145276 - 05/02/08 10:00 PM Re: Hormonal Swings [Re: katebcca]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Kate,
I'm so sorry for what you are feeling! It sounds that, yes, a doctor is in order ASAP! The hormonal swings I suffered with those REALLY heavey periods were hard on me and I remember feeling and really needing to BREAK things to feel better! It was a hard time but I was on an antidepressent! Are you getting help of this kind?

I'm worried for you, very worried.

For me, they found one small fibroid but told me it was "no big deal," and told me to keep up my iron, calcium and such!

I was left to handle most of that part on my own! I was scared at times.

Please let me know what your plans are or what a doctor says.You should not be suffering so!

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved