The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 43 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#145012 - 03/22/08 03:51 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
These are wonderful suggestions and if you live in a large city, doable.

However, for a lot of people, they live in rural areas and relocating is not an option. In that case, I would suggest doing the tag-team thing. Ask others who may belong to your church or bridge club, or writing group, whatever, if you can barter for trips to town. Swap duties with them, or maybe offer to pay the gas if they will let you ride along on grocery day.

Cycling is great but not for everyone. It's not that it couldn't be learned, just that some people don't want to learn it...it wouldn't be their choice of traveling mode and they may not live within an area that has other means of travel. I know I don't. I live in the country and the nearest bus system is 25 miles away. No subways here, either.

I think I would try to form some sort of "Favor of the Month" club and find people who were willing to swap out favors to aid me in getting back and forth to town. Just some thoughts.

#145013 - 04/14/08 09:30 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My mom had her 88th birthday April the 9th and she was so afraid to go for her license, afraid they would say "are you kidding?" Well happy days, she got it, to retest in two years though, not four. Go mom!!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#145014 - 04/14/08 09:39 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, these are great ideas and certainly things to consider.

Unfortunately, Dad doesn't get around well, walking, that is.

So far, so good. He is not the type to complain. His kids love the heck out of him so he has lots of company. I picked him up to run my errands at lunch today just so he could get out and he loved it, and I enjoyed his company.

chatty, sounds like you have many years ahead of you. Good for your mom. But does she run red lights like you? Ha! Just kidding. Couldn't resist. I'm laughing!

#145015 - 04/15/08 07:58 AM Re: no more license to drive
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dotsie, Its called 'taking the bull by the horns," otherwise we might still be sitting at that 'forever' red light. When you drive with me, it may get a little hairy but like I said then, I have driven since age 16 and have never even gotten a ticket...Been very lucky, and always get where I'm going, especially when I'm carrying precious cargo like you and Meredith...

#145017 - 04/15/08 07:08 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, I loved being your passenger. Hard to beleive we were all just together a couple days ago! Still can't believe it.

Anne, glad to hear a man stepped up to the caregiving plate. How cool is that?

As far as the driving goes, you can always balme it on the doctor. Would the doctor agree?

#145019 - 04/16/08 05:35 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I think Dad not having his license is harder on me than it is him. I keep thinking of him in his apartment on these gorgeous days and not being able to get out. Well, actually he got out twice on Monday and once yesterday so this is the first day this week that he's sitting in all day.

I can't imagine being stuck in the house. But maybe when I'm older, I'll want to.

#145020 - 04/16/08 10:00 PM Re: no more license to drive
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Is your father well enough on his own to take a walk Dotsie? Or go and sit on the stoop?

#145021 - 04/17/08 03:30 PM Re: no more license to drive [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

This is so funny. I called Dad to tell him I was going to stop by last night becasue I figured he'd been in all day. My brother naswered the phone. He and his wife had made dinner and were visiting. Then I called my sister later and she told me she was at Dad's for three hours during the day, and while she was there one of his friends and his wife visited. I'm so happy about this.

Chats, he can't walk well. That's another reason he gave up the car I think. Because whenever he drove soemwhere, he couldn't walk very far anyway. He has a nice deck and I'm hoping that now that it's warmer, he'll sit out there and get some fresh air!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved