orchid, I want to thank you for all your input about cycling. I was seriously considering it. I priced bikes - that was a big "Good Grief$$$" and a number one stop sign. I found a used one at a thrift store, but it needed help...more $$.
Also, I tried balancing myself on my DH's (which has dry rotted tires) and couldn't... even with a retainer wall right next to me as a mental crutch. I can actually say I was timid (not a better word for how I was feeling) with the bike between my legs. It was very upsetting for me... As a child, I rode up and down and all around (of course, the variant speed bikes hadn't even come onto the scene, at least not in my life) - I was free when I rode my bike, and I loved the feeling... I could even stand on the seat, after getting it moving. I guess, in my mind, I thought I could revisit those years, with your type of cycling, to recondition my body. I'm laughing at the very idea that I thought I might be able to do it. But, I want to thank you for giving us all of the information that you did. Maybe some can use it, and use it well.
Blessings (I envy you girl!, but not in a bad way.)