The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#128085 - 09/21/07 01:06 AM Re: Dr. Phil [Re: Eagle Heart]
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
EagleHeart,
I haven't watched him much, because I'm usually working when his show is on. (Like Dotsie) Because as you said, he has gotten so Hollywood-ized, it seems more tabloid style rather than a helpful show. I always thought the problems presented on his show were too complicated to solve in one hour. I'm sure he's never tried to promote his show that way. It is leaning toward Jerry Springer and Jenny Jones style.

#128086 - 09/21/07 01:43 AM Re: Dr. Phil [Re: Katrinka]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Dancer,
IMO, that's hitting the nail on the head. I would never have thought of the word "shaming", but that pretty much describes what appears to be happening. Bombarded by (perceived) bullying tactics and Hollywoodized sensationalization of people's problems to a public hungry for entertainment at another's expense, some of these people do appear to be publicly shamed into admission of fault and submission to his way of thinking.

That would partially explain why I can't watch...I can't stand to be humiliated in public, and it makes me cringe to watch others being publicly humiliated, even if they've willingly put themselves into those circumstances - and on the show.

(Maya Angelou)

#128087 - 09/21/07 01:47 AM Re: Dr. Phil [Re: Eagle Heart]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
That's exactly how I feel Eagle Heart!
It is like it is another show where we throw someone to the lions and watch to see if they survive! It's not about psyche now, it's about surviver, Dr. Phil. That is what works for the public now, to humiliate and "beat," other people on television. It's like a video game with real people now on many television shows. If it is not a show where you must "survive," then it is a show where the characters have to survive. I feel that is where entertainment has gone for the average veiwer and as a performer, I find it distasteful.
Thanks for your post, I feel less alone in my view.
dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#128088 - 09/21/07 02:39 AM Re: Dr. Phil [Re: dancer9]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I agree, and if I had my way, would rarely even turn the TV on...but hubby loves to watch television, so I watch in order to spend time with him. And I hate to admit it, but there I was tonight, watching Survivor: China. As much to watch the scenery as the show itself this time, though (my step-daughter-in-law and granddaughter are Chinese, so I'm extra interested in that part of the world).

(Maya Angelou)

#128089 - 09/21/07 06:34 PM Re: Dr. Phil [Re: Eagle Heart]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Does anyone know whether folks who appear on shows like Dr Phil's, Jerry Springer's etc get paid? Just curious.

#128090 - 09/21/07 07:24 PM Re: Dr. Phil [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I don't know...but if you want to be on the Queen Jaw Jaw show, you must pay me. Now...let's see, to throw a tantrum will cost you $200 bucks. Chair over the head, an additional 50 dollars. If it breaks, add $15.00 to it.

Hair pulling, eye gouging, and biting goes for $25.00/bite/goug, etc... and if you knock somebody out, well...I will provide the smelling salts as a gift to you for being on my show.

Now, who wants on?

Oh and I offer FREE advice on how to live your life, terrorize your hubby/children/dog/cat and how to get out of cooking for a month.

So.................who's in?

#128091 - 09/21/07 07:30 PM Re: Dr. Phil [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
me...and my step-daughter. thanks...saving money now.

#128092 - 09/21/07 08:46 PM Re: Dr. Phil [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

LOL, You Rock, JawJaw!
dancer

#128093 - 09/21/07 08:48 PM Re: Dr. Phil [Re: Lola]
dancer9 Offline

Lola,
In keeping with the integrity of such shows, no, they are not supposed to be paid. Sometimes there are packages though that serve as incentives, gifts and such. But, no, those guests should not be paid.
dancer9

#128094 - 09/21/07 10:02 PM Re: Dr. Phil [Re: dancer9]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Thanks, Dancer. I often wondered about compensation and whether it had anything to do with the occasional fracas on set i.e genuine or put on.

Bruised and out of pocket, JJ.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved