The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#124520 - 08/03/07 05:10 AM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well meredith I haven't consciously avoided white flour desserts, breads, etc. But biscuits and scones is something I am careful...

I guess I'm not totally negative about white rice because when I do have it (about 1-3 times per week), it is almost 2 c. YOu have to realize I know alot of average/skinny Asians who eat alot of rice.

I'll eat whipping cream abit, but I don't consciously choose desserts with lots of whipping cream. It puzzles me why some people swoon over whipping creme.

My partner loves quality whipping cream..

My first exposure to white flour cake...was steamed sponge cake. This is how Asians would traditionally prepare a (their) only cake that remotely even resembled a European cake. I remember whipping up in a high speed beater, 6 eggs with sugar and abit flour....all of this for about 15 min. so it got real light and airy.

Pour into a glass pie plate....set it on a low steam wire stand inside a cooking pan. And the cake would rise and bake by steam.

That's how our family had strawberries, whipping cream and ...steamed sponge cake in the summer...in Canada.

Yes the other technique is to use a large bamboo steamer for steaming the sponge cake.

One thing I should add,...I dislike icing on cakes, squares and cookies. Really never developed a taste for it. Same for frosting.

Am indifferent to toffee, caramel (except Kraft caramel candies are lovely comforts!) and fudge. A tiny square is enough. Again it's the overloading of sugar...to the palette. But many other desserts I do enjoy.

#124521 - 08/03/07 11:43 AM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, I'd love to move in with you for about a month and learn your methods of cooking. That sponge cake sounds amazing. I've never heard of steaming a cake.

#124522 - 08/04/07 05:54 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
One food I realized I can't abide is calamari. To me it looks like fried tarantulas.

The steamed cake sounds very good. One of my favorite cakes is carrot cake made with apple sauce and reduced sugar. My grandma who was a chef, used to make a wonderful chocolate cake using sauerkraut and another cake made with zucchini and bananas.

Too many sweets at once make me ill and its like I can feel them in my bloodstream. They leave a coat on my tongue and a chalky taste in my mouth. After eating too much sweet chocolate, the affect is much like drinking too much alcohol.

Have you ever heard of palate cleansers before and after a meal? This one restaurant I went to cleansed your palate with a fruit drink prior to eating.

#124523 - 08/05/07 05:46 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: NewLeaf]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I've been in restaurants that serve sorbet as a palette cleanser.

I'll eat fried calamari, but not raw!

We are at the beach and there are definitely some traditional beach foods that are rotten for you. There's taffy, fudge, french fries fried in peanut oil and sprinkled with vinegar, and of course, custard. So far I've had one piece of taffy and a pinch of fudge.

#124524 - 08/05/07 06:21 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
How big is a pinch of fudge? I'd be tempted.

I always sprinkle my fries with vinegar. Brown gravy over them is my fav. Don't have them much any more unless I do them myself from potatoes. Maybe 2-3 times a year.

#124526 - 08/06/07 02:06 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Give me fried, side, and oversized. Okay, okay, just joshin'...but being raised in the South, I had fried everything. If we could have figured out a way to fry our orange juice and coffee, we would have enjoyed it off the stove as well.

I love fried chicken, fried okra/squash/zuhoweveryouspellit and country-fried steak with gravy. Now I never eat these things anymore except the fried okra/squash and that other one, but I love them. Maybe once a year? My Aunt WeWe is dead now, so why bother with fried chicken? Her's was the best. KFC is a joke and deadly.

I love homemade ice cream, and I have a recipe for Milky Way Ice Cream that is heavenly.

I love Calamari, but only in Rhode Island. YUMMY! Bring it on.

I love fried crab claws and had some last week. Ate every one of those suckers.

I love sauces. Any kind. Brown, red, red-eye gravy, salad dressings, homemade and store-bought. I love white sauce, BBQ sauce, and ketchup. If you cut me, I'd bleed ketchup. I try my darnest to stay away from all of the above, but I'm weak...totally.

I love sweets. Sue me. My least favorite in that category would be pies. I could live without pies.

My favorite thing in the world is LETTUCE. Go figure. If someone told me I had to live without a head of romaine lettuce, I'd fold up my tent and check out. I eat about two heads of lettuce a week. By all rights, I should weigh 85 pounds. Where's the justice?

Have you called Jenny yet?

#124528 - 08/08/07 12:54 AM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: ]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well, I love watermellow and just had a wonderful sweet piece of that wonderful fruit tonight . after a veggie supper of fried egg plant and fresh green beans and squash and some orange tomatoes . I don't eat fries anymore and love them so , but my thunder thighs just can't take the weigh now . Love peach cobbler and made that this week that hubby is still licking his mouth about the wonderful taste. Oh, how I love the summer dispite the heat all the fresh veggies we get either from the garden or the farmer market . Lo and behold my weakness is fresh corn on the cob that I could eat and eat . One time I eat four ears of corn . LOL.

And of course our Crabs here , not sure how many calories they are . I do contiue in the summer months to eat my cherrio's and blueberry breakfast , that I love . Only hoping to lose a few more pounds. Not much on a lot of cake , but love fruit pies in the summer .

Need to walk more I suppose .

Ice cream now sounds good ....

#124529 - 08/08/07 02:43 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: Sadie]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Meredith, no bread? I can't live without bread. Gotta have my bread.

Orchid, no scones or biscuits? Ah! I love them both.

My biggest weakness is bread. I could live on it. Couldn't do the low carb diet everyone was on.

#124530 - 08/08/07 03:46 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: Laurel]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Laurel,
Me too. I love my bread . Oh, the french bread an biscuts . Yummy !

#124531 - 08/08/07 11:58 PM Re: Bad,sinful foods you don't eat & don't like [Re: Laurel]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Renee, I had Cheerios and peaches this morning. Have you gotten any white peaches yet this summer? They're to die for. I love all the fresh fruit and veggies. I've eaten a ton of corn and tomatoes this week. In fact, we had leftover corn tonight with tomatoes cooked together. It was delish. We also had crab soup, grilled tuna and scallops, chicken, and salad. I behaved. All I had was salad and the corn dish and I still ate too much. Sonny boy loves to grill and he's good at it. He grilled the chicken, scallops and tuna.

Now for the bad stuff...I had some of the Thrasher's fries earlier today. They're the ones cooked in peanut oil and sprinkled with vinegar and salt. YUM!

Laurel, I also have a huge weakness for breads. It would be tough for me to do the low carb diet too. I like it hot, cold, with butter, cheese, spreads, anything. You name it. I haven't met a bread I don't like.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved