The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 256 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#117801 - 05/13/07 08:06 AM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
He ran out of the car that was returning him to the treatment center, then my phone rang.

So I missed the end, but by that time I had had enough. He was so possessive, out of control and in denial about his illness. And he is one ill puppy!

Castration would not work, but a lobotomy might be in order.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#117802 - 05/13/07 08:10 AM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Either one is too good for him. I just hope the girl is safe. Can you imagine her terror?

#117803 - 05/13/07 11:50 AM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: jawjaw]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
I saw it...the husband was definitely chilling -- gave me the creeps.

The end of the story: The husband hopped cabs and got to LAX and beat his wife home by 5 minutes. He was already into the computer, looking up cell phone records. She called the cops and was able to convince them that he was dangerous. She got the kids and went to her Mom's in Ohio. Her lawyer filed divorce papers and got a restraining order. Within 24 hours of the restraining order, he was calling her at her Mom's. He moved out of the house and the wife moved back to Virginia and the house. He broke in. Eventually, he decided to go back to the treatment center to get his wife back, but wouldn't let Dr. Phil know about his treatment anymore, so they couldn't keep track of him. He left there and returned to Virginia where the cops caught him within the limits described by the restraining order. He's now in jail.

I felt like I was watching a "cop" show or soap opera, it was so unreal.

How do we teach our daughters? We talk about it. We tell them how valuable they are. We stop telling them that they are only hear to serve a man and that they are incomplete without a man. We teach them to earn their own living. We tell them to wait to have children with a man. We teach them the warning signs. And we live our own lives with dignity and respect for ourselves. We don't put up with this stuff in our own lives -- at any level.

O.K. Off of soapbox...

#117804 - 05/13/07 01:02 PM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: Casey]
Anno Offline

Quote:

We don't put up with this stuff in our own lives -- at any level.

A very powerful statement.

Thanks for sharing the end of the story. I really hope he gets the help he so desperately needs.

#117805 - 05/14/07 01:56 AM Post deleted by Dotsie [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland

#117806 - 05/14/07 10:37 AM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I didn't watch it. I deal with this stuff on a daily basis and sometimes I need to get away from it.

It is very hard, almost impossible, for someone with control issues to stop. They feel powerless if they can't watch their mate's every move. How exhausting.

Warning signs: What might be a warning sign to me might not be to you so I tell girls whatever creates discomfort in them is their warning sign.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#117807 - 05/14/07 05:46 PM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

In other words, follow your body's intuition. It is not lying to you.

#117808 - 05/20/07 04:11 PM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: Casey]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

I felt like I was watching a "cop" show or soap opera, it was so unreal.

How do we teach our daughters? We talk about it. We tell them how valuable they are. We stop telling them that they are only hear to serve a man and that they are incomplete without a man. We teach them to earn their own living. We tell them to wait to have children with a man. We teach them the warning signs. And we live our own lives with dignity and respect for ourselves. We don't put up with this stuff in our own lives -- at any level.

O.K. Off of soapbox...

In raising assertive daughters with street smarts but who are non-violent themselves, wouldn't that almost mean in a way, allowing your daughter to occasioanlly disagree with you...speak up and engage in thoughtful, discussions.

Helps for daughters need to be shown how to negotiate and discuss issues effectively in a way that makes their minds more objective about major decisions that can affect their lives. That their opinion is respected in a lengthy discussion with parent(s). also they can observe in their own parents' marriage examples of careful, good deep discussion between parents who are trying to make good decisions (about anything). I've often wondered about abusive /non-communicative marriages and what children are missing out in their up-close understanding of adult collaborative discussion.

Above all, encouraging daughters to live indepdendently and financially, for part of their lives...is a good thing. It makes them/anyone less afraid of life ...alone.

That profound need to have a man/constant companion for every stage of their life, becomes not so paramount, critical to their self-esteem/personal security/comfort.

#117809 - 05/20/07 07:54 PM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am beginning to believe there is no end to this type of violence againt women. Its as if some men think women were put on this earth just for their sick pleasures.

Anyone ever watched the show on TV called SNAPPED? Its about women who have 'had enough' of the same ole, same ole and take charge, usually killing their abuser. Women are fighting back more and more...

Edited by chatty lady (05/20/07 07:55 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#117810 - 05/21/07 08:56 AM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Movies like that always worry me. Women are not as strong as men and although they show them taking karate classes, etc. it isn't always the best approach. They can get killed trying. I know the movies make it a great punishment to the abuser but it rarely works out that way in real life and the woman goes to prison.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved