The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 130 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#108813 - 04/22/07 08:53 AM Re: Any Legit Work From Home Jobs?? [Re: KC Christensen-Lang]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
All good advice here. A few things I'll mention before deciding on working from home, in any capacity:

1) Number of hours you can commit. This isn't the number of hours you would LIKE to have, this is the honest-to-goodness, without interruptions, hours you can offer someone and fufill an obligation. So many people see $'s and want extra money, but they fail to take into account they have small children at home, for example, and therefore; interruptions of their time. Why not investigate at-home jobs when babies are sleeping. Just one example. Companies will expect you to be professional in every sense of the word. You care, and should, about crying babes or husbands demanding attention, but they won't. Be available when YOU say you'll be available.

2) What are your assets? List them. Then go after jobs that require those skills. Know what you're good at! Great typing skills? Good phone presence? Does the job you're looking at require programming? Some people apply for online jobs never reading the guidelines. Don't apply for jobs you cannot do. That may sound silly, but lots of people do and then they say something like, "Well shoot! I thought they just said "light programming" to make the job sound better. I really didn't think there would be any." Duh? Big Duh?

3) What are you weaknesses? If a job, for instance, calls for writing press releases and writing resumes and you're very good at resume writing, but NOT press releases, TELL THEM THAT. Or better yet, don't apply. Know your weaknesses and either sharpen up those skills, or stay away from the ones that require it. Its a no-brainer.

4) BE HONEST. I've known people who tell others they are the best, and that they have degrees, when they don't. They have also said they write for publications that they DO NOT write for. They say they have experience in areas that they DO NOT have experience in. And they actually think that people who use their services don't talk or tell others how lousy their service was/is. People talk. Period.

Some of these same people have applied for jobs and lied on the application. One in particular got the job because, I'm sure, of the glowing application she submitted. They were fired a month later. Do you want that stress for one paycheck? Worse, do you want to be branded as dishonest?

Although this Internet is a vast, unending meca of information, jobs, and people...you wouldn't believe how small it CAN be. Word gets around and people talk. Don't be the subject; capish?

So, in summary, how many hours a week can you honestly commit without interruptions? Plan for this number of hours and commit to them. Don't be wishy-washy. Know your strengths and capitalize on those skills when hunting a job. Know your weaknesses and either brush up on them, or stay away from jobs requiring those skills, and be honest. Would you want your Mamma to know you said that? If so, go for it. If not, shame on you.

Nuff said.

#108814 - 04/22/07 11:20 PM Re: Any Legit Work From Home Jobs?? [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

4) BE HONEST. I've known people who tell others they are the best, and that they have degrees, when they don't. They have also said they write for publications that they DO NOT write for. They say they have experience in areas that they DO NOT have experience in. And they actually think that people who use their services don't talk or tell others how lousy their service was/is. People talk. Period.

Some of these same people have applied for jobs and lied on the application. One in particular got the job because, I'm sure, of the glowing application she submitted. They were fired a month later. Do you want that stress for one paycheck? Worse, do you want to be branded as dishonest?

Although this Internet is a vast, unending meca of information, jobs, and people...you wouldn't believe how small it CAN be. Word gets around and people talk. Don't be the subject; capish?

So, in summary, how many hours a week can you honestly commit without interruptions? Plan for this number of hours and commit to them. Don't be wishy-washy. Know your strengths and capitalize on those skills when hunting a job. Know your weaknesses and either brush up on them, or stay away from jobs requiring those skills, and be honest. Would you want your Mamma to know you said that? If so, go for it. If not, shame on you.

Nuff said.

Good advice jawjaw. Yes, the Internet shrinks the world in terms of grapevine networking. People can find out in many different ways what your work record is. Anyone can find out who my past employers were because I've been belonged and been active in professional associations (related to my profession) that have websites. And if you have made a positive contribution, you would like that searchable evidence for prospective employers. It confirms your resume's details.

If a person's job involved computer technology and providing content, there is a permanent footprint/evidence of your work and expertise still there, even a few years after you have left job(s).

When I interview, I do ask questions to verify certain skills. It is possible to ask a few strategic questions just to see how the person responds. The more expertise a person claims, the more detailed questions the interviewer has a right to ask.

#108815 - 04/23/07 01:04 AM Re: Any Legit Work From Home Jobs?? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
KC, I just met my VA a month ago. It was over the top. I hope you get to meet yours one day.

Great advice ladies.

#108816 - 04/24/07 09:10 PM Re: Any Legit Work From Home Jobs??
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Dotsie, would you mind sharing just some of the things your va does for you? Is there a job description? I'm very interested.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved