The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 100 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12068 - 08/24/05 09:59 PM Hi there
Ask Dutchy Offline

Loc: Rochester , Washington
I just wanted to say Hello, and introduce myself.

I provided care to many women over the last 10 years in my adult family home. My specialty is in Alzheimer's and Dementia.

I do seminars for babyboomer, women. As it turns out the average age of someone who provides care for their mom or dad is between 45-55.

I find this site exciting because it encourages you to talk about your passions. I have lots of stories to share, and I look forward to reading all of your posts.

My current passion is running an Alzheimer's Dementia support forum. I also write a blog, called Ask Dutchy. I receive e-mails from all over the world, from families who are providing care for their loved ones.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

[ August 24, 2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Ask Dutchy ]

#12069 - 08/24/05 11:50 PM Re: Hi there
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yuhooo Dutchy. I applaud your efforts of supporting others in their battle against dementia. Knowledge is power. I was a primary caregiver for my Daddy who had Lewy-Body Dementia. Boy, can I relate.

Welcome to this forum and if there is anything I can help you do, just ask!

My best,
Resident Queen and Laughologist,

JJ

#12070 - 08/25/05 01:27 AM Re: Hi there
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Welcome to the world of Boomer Women Dutchy! I too know about dealing with dementia as my mother passed away a few years ago from complications of Alzheimers. There's another "new member" in the forum who just wrote a book about Alzheimers - you can find her in the "Welcome" section of the forum - her name is "Deb The Author" and I bet the two of you will have LOTS to talk about!

There are others here among us who are familiar with dementia just as our Queen JawJaw and myself have. Bravo to you for such a wonderful "mission" of opening your home and heart to people with various forms of dementia.

#12071 - 08/25/05 04:13 AM Re: Hi there
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hi Dutchy and welcome. I cared for my sister who suffered from what was diagnosed as severe dementa for three years before she died from complications of MS. I watched her literally disappear and become a thing rather than the vibrant person she once was. It was so sad to see and I prayed that she was not aware of what was happening to her the poor dear....

#12072 - 08/25/05 09:43 AM Re: Hi there
Ask Dutchy Offline

As far as Deb the author goes..I had to laugh. We met a month ago, and yes we have a lot to talk about. We hit it off and send e-mails throughout the day, as well as talking on the phone. She has so many new things happening to her, with her book. Her dreams of sharing her wonderful, but sad story of her father's fight with Alzheimer's has finally come true.

Funny how you meet some people in your life. Deb is a wonderful woman. And I am so thankful I met her.

I got to read her book before it was published, I really enjoyed it. I did a book review, my first one, on My Ask Dutchy Blog It is entitled, Into the Mist, a book review.

Please feel free to check it out and make comments if you want.

#12073 - 08/25/05 09:17 PM Re: Hi there
Ask Dutchy Offline

I just had to mention this here, when you do wonder why people came into your life...sometimes you get an answer.

Deb's other passion is a forum, for families who have lost their loved ones to suicide.

I don't know anything about suicide. Several weeks after I met Deb I received an "Ask Dutchy" question in the mail. It was from a gentleman whose father had Alzheimer's, but was trying to kill himself.

At that moment I was so glad that I had met Deb, we were able to collaborate and post a note about Alzheimer's and suicide. That day...I hope we made a difference in the world. I don't believe in chance meetings. I know that God, let us meet for a reason.

Hopefully, that gentleman was able to get some help.

#12074 - 08/27/05 12:22 PM Re: Hi there
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Welcome Duchy! The work you're doing is very admirable. Luckily, I haven't needed much information on this subject.

#12075 - 08/27/05 06:11 PM Re: Hi there
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My only experience with dementia and alzheimers has been in a healthcare setting and I was not emotionally involved with the patients. But it certainly seems to be painful for all involved.

I'm sure the information you and Deb are providing will be very beneficial.

#12076 - 08/27/05 06:24 PM Re: Hi there
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
This is a complicated question but when someone has Alzheimers, are they aware of what is going on? My MIL would stay up at night and go through drawers and closets, almost like she was trying to make sense of something. She hid jewelry in cold cream jars, etc. This has always bothered me that maybe she was desperately trying to find something to hang onto.

#12077 - 08/28/05 02:30 AM Re: Hi there
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I prayed hard that my sister never knew what was happening to her and she was at peace but all the evidence is to the contrary. She seemed so aggitated and as you say almost lost, as if searching for something, words wouldn't come when she tried to speak and she would get so frustrated. All we can do is pray to God that if it ever happens to one of us, we have a loving caregiver and that death comes fast and gently...

[ August 27, 2005, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved