The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 48 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#9112 - 07/07/05 09:45 AM Big Sigh of Freedom
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
As of yesterday evening, I just finished 10 weeks straight of working ~70 hours/week. At least one week was 80.

The Kamikaze Work Schedule is history, at least until September when it starts in again.

Craft fairs went well, almost all of them, which kept me busy making new stuff.

I submitted my jewelry and home/art decor into the Orange County Fair again, and am keeping my fingers crossed for both $$$money$$$ and maybe a prize ribbon or two.

I ran poetry programs at the Library, and taught my exercise class.

The downside is, I missed lot of gym time because I just couldn't schedule it. I also didn't write at all during those weeks, because my work-mind was going too strong. Jewelry creativity is a different animal than writing creativity, and I was going too fast in the jewelry road to switch gears or direction.

Today I did very little of any value. I went grocery shopping with El Hubbo. We looked at and discussed water heaters. Did I mention that our water heater just sprung a small leak and made a mini-flood in our kitchen cabinet? Not too big a deal, but I hate moldy phone books (which are stored in that cabinet).

My gift to myself will be writing and gym time. I also called a housecleaning service, but they charge $200!!! for a 3-hour session so I may resort to putting up signs in the local laundromat. I told my husband that I earned enough money these two months to deserve a cleaner, at least for a few times, but not at $200 so I guess that means "undocumented." Don't ask, don't tell. Usually we clean together but I always land up with 2/3 of it, so I'd be happy to hire someone if I could find someone I can afford.

I'll still be working some, but at a pace where I can breathe.

I'm glad it's over. [Wink]

#9113 - 07/07/05 05:48 PM Re: Big Sigh of Freedom
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Wow. Busy lady. You're so multi-talented it's amazing.

#9114 - 07/07/05 05:55 PM Re: Big Sigh of Freedom
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Meredith, be careful when hiring a non-business cleaning person. They are not bonded, insured etc. You could end up more than 200 in the hole. I believe most people are honest, but it would be a good idea to call some of their long term employers just the same.

El Hubbo, Ha.ha. cute.

chick

#9115 - 07/08/05 04:01 AM Re: Big Sigh of Freedom
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Meredith, wow, what a marathon! I believe that every working woman deserves someone to clean their house. After all, it's good for the economy. You're earning money, and you help another earn money. I've had estimates from Merry Maids: 1) they cost too much 2) they are not pet friendly. Here's how I found the house keeper/pet sitter I had for 6 years: I was praying for help because I have fibromyalgia. One day I saw a woman carrying a cute red cleaning tote to a neighbor's front door. Later, I saw the woman cleaning the windows. So I watched, and when she left the house, I ran to meet her, and she cleaned for me weekly for 6 years for $25.00 a week. Sometimes we would clean together. She carried me through housecleaning duties during cancer. She was a blessing. I keep saying, "why couldn't we bring Carmen to Colorado with us?" Ask around, Meredith, and you might get a word of mouth referral. LLL

#9116 - 07/08/05 05:34 AM Re: Big Sigh of Freedom
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I get help cleaning from time to time and I am always at home so I can pop in where they're cleaning and chit chat and watch them...I don't have alot of valuables but what I have I want to keep.... [Razz]

#9117 - 07/08/05 07:13 AM Re: Big Sigh of Freedom
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
When I had Merry Maids do an estimate, my dog Whitney barked. Whitney was about 9 years old, and the queen of the house. Anyway, the not so merry maid said, "Does she bark the whole time?" I said, "yes, that's her job when it comes to strangers in the house." I didn't go with merry maids. Within a week, Carmen crossed the neighborhood. When she came over to do an estimate, she was petting Whitney, cooing, saying "what a beautiful dog" etc. And Whitney stopped barking! Carmen used to watch Whitney while we were away, and take her for rides, and sleep overs at her (Carmen's) house. Clean my house, love my pets! LLL

#9118 - 07/08/05 12:07 PM Re: Big Sigh of Freedom
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Merry Maids are the ones who said $200, so I'm definitely not going with them. Here are the calls I made today:

local high school -- the counselor who handles job placement is gone for the summer, and no one else does that. My phone call was transferred 4 times before I got someone who knew anything at all.

continuing ed school: out for the summer.

university: I need to put my listing online, which I will do.

junior college: person in charge is gone till Monday.

Human services (job placement through the city; clients aren't asked immigration status): I need to go down there and post my listing.

Plus I was on the phone for 45 minutes with Kaiser (HMO) trying to schedule a mammogram and then a colonoscopy -- different phone #s, same wait.

All this phone calling is hard work. I'd rather be making jewelry!

And we looked at more water heaters. My husband wants to compare every water heater on the market. I gave him a 24-hour ultimatum on choosing one.

oh and BTW: I have one copy left of "And the Artist Was 12..." and probably won't do a 2nd printing. Compilation of my youthful and more recent poetry. I sell a few poetry books at my craft fairs, but not too many.

#9119 - 07/08/05 06:35 PM Re: Big Sigh of Freedom
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I found my cleaning lady from a friend who used her so had good references. Also, like Lynn said, watch the neighborhood. My cleaning lady always finds notes on her car windshield when she's going home, asking if she needs more customers. Just ask around.

Heck, for that amount of money, I'd fly in and clean your house! [Razz] [Big Grin]

#9120 - 07/09/05 09:57 AM Re: Big Sigh of Freedom
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Word of mouth is always the best way to go. You can also check your local paper or city website, if they have one.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved