The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 54 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#146261 - 04/14/08 02:14 PM How Do You Know When To Let Go?
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I have a lovely chocolate toy poodle named Rembrandt. He will be 17 in May. He is mostly blind in one eye and completely in the other. He does not hear well and I am sure has arthritis. He seems to just want to be left alone and not held. He sleeps all the time and eats when he wants to.

I love him dearly but am thinking it's time to speak to the Vet about letting him go. I feel terrible thinking I should ask the Vet but he's been such a great friend and part of the family, I don't want my wanting to keep him with us as being cruel to him.

What do you all think?
www.tidedancer.com

#146262 - 04/14/08 02:22 PM Re: How Do You Know When To Let Go? [Re: Sandpiper]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
We had a german shephard (Augie-Doggie) for 14 years. We knew it was time when he couldn't stand by himself, and he lost control of his bowels. I don't think we waited too long; he was old and slept a lot like Rembrandt. That's what old people do too.

Keep an eye on him. As soon as he starts losing control, you'll know it's time and will act quickly. It's tough, isn't it? They are like our kids. Hang in there...

Kathy

#146263 - 04/14/08 02:23 PM Re: How Do You Know When To Let Go? [Re: Sandpiper]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Getting the advice of the Vet would be a good idea but of course, only you know this. I'm basing that statement on what you're telling us. How heavy your heart must be, Sandpiper. I ache for you both.

#146264 - 04/14/08 08:50 PM Re: How Do You Know When To Let Go? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sandpiper our pets are like our children, only more dependent. I believe that you already know the answer to this question and when our beloved pets have no quality of, or joy in their lives it is time to allow them to cross over the Angel Bridge. No need to wait until they lose their dignity completely. God Bless Rembrandt. I am sure if all he does is sleep, he would welcome a painless, gentle release.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#146265 - 04/15/08 01:02 AM Re: How Do You Know When To Let Go? [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
What a heartbreaking decision to have to make! I had to make that decision years ago with my Lhasa Apso. She looked at me one day, and I just knew it was time, so off we went to the vet. The situation with my dog, Archie, who died about a month ago, was different - he became ill on a Thursday night, took him to the vet on Friday and scheduled surgery for Monday morning - he never came out of the anesthesia. The worst part was I didn't have a chance to say 'goodbye' to him before he died. I think our pets let us know when it's time to say goodbye. But it really isn't goodbye, it's more like a 'till we meet again' as I believe we will see them again. My heart is aching for you as I know what it's like to make that decision. Keep us posted.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#146266 - 04/15/08 04:33 AM Re: How Do You Know When To Let Go? [Re: yonuh]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
OH SP, I am so sorry to hear this. In Jan of 2004 I wrote about our dog Whitney. Everyone here had so much comfort for me, and you will find comfort too. I still have the posts if you want me to PM them to you. In answer to your question, how do you know? I think you are beginning to know what you need to know in order for your pet to be at peace. We did have a discussion or two with our vet. The vet told us that in Whitney's case we would watch for signs of her not being interested in her food. And that's what happened. I had a gratitude session with Whitney everyday for a week before the final scheduled vet visit. Then we bought wind chimes in her honor, thinking that when we heard the chimes, our angel pet was still with us. Sometimes dogs sleep through their pain. What if that is what Rembrandt is doing by sleeping all the time. And please don't feel terrible about asking your vet. The vets are prepared to deal with all kinds of creature transitions, from birth, to birthing, to passing on. My vet was very kind about the experience. 17 years is a blessed long time with a treasured pet. Think of what good 17 years you provided for Rembrandt, and he for you. Sending love and light to you and you precious pet. PL

#146267 - 04/15/08 11:49 AM Re: How Do You Know When To Let Go? [Re: Princess Lenora]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Don't feel terrible thinking you should ask the vet. You should ask. He will help you make the decision as to whether or not it's time. A big factor in making this decision for me is whether or not the animal is in pain........I won't let my dogs suffer. I always pray that my dogs will go peacefully in their sleep but it doesn't always happen that way. You're thinking about it because in your heart you know that if it's not today, tomorrow, or next week, with Rembrandt being 17, it's going to be sooner rather than later, and you love him. My heart goes out to you. We had one beagle (Babe) for 15 years and had to make that decision and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. We have two more beagles (Peaches is 10 and Brandy is 5) and I know it's going to hurt just as much when their time comes.

#146268 - 04/15/08 12:01 PM Re: How Do You Know When To Let Go? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Sandpiper, waiting to hear what's happened. All of us animal lovers have had to make this decision at one time or another. Our last decision was made on January 30, 2007 when my hubby's beloved 15 yearold cat experienced kidney failure. It was a sad time but one in which we knew what had to be done. We got the vet's advice and proceeded and was with him when he went to sleep. He's buried not too far from the house in one of his favorite spots. We've placed a memorial there and visit during the good months. These are the hard times but we tend to enjoy the fun memories of his life. My prayers are with you at this difficult time.

#146269 - 04/15/08 06:37 PM Re: How Do You Know When To Let Go? [Re: ladyjane]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Got 2 tell U, it about killed me 2 put Shadow down! My heart still aches! Maybe Rembrandt will tell U! Shadow did!

#146270 - 04/17/08 01:57 PM Re: How Do You Know When To Let Go? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
And what I meant by that last post is, when PETS get so uncomfortable, you hurt watching them hurt, then you're left with no other choice but the inevitable. I just researched this for a manuscript: "While it is the case that as long as we are in the flesh, and constantly harassed by death, there will always be some degree of "uneasiness"; but, in view of the victory accomplished by the Lord, we can approach the inevitable with spirits that are more tranquil."

P.S. I believe our pets go to Heaven, too!!!!!

Edited by jabber (04/17/08 01:58 PM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved