The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 83 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#134452 - 12/11/07 05:49 PM Heart worms
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Has anyone had a pet who got heart worms? My dog Molly has been heart worm free (thru medication) since I got her almost 3 years ago. I changed vets and they tested her and she has them and will go in for treatment on the 17th. The HW's were found at an early stage and is treatable. I'll have to keep her pinned up for a month so she cannot walk around and run and play. Evidently, HW's, when killed, break up and have to be absorbed/eliminated through the body and this takes time. If the animal moves around the first month it can cause the HW's to invade their lungs and other vital organs and kill Molly. I've given Molly her heart worm treatments every month but since my old vet did not document all my purchases I cannot get Heartgard to cover the cost of the treatment. The new vet says that even with dedicated, monthly treatment it's possible for an animal to get this and told me not to feel like I'd done anything wrong. Keep Molly in your prayers, please, as the 17th approaches. Thanks.

#134453 - 12/11/07 11:56 PM Re: Heart worms [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Heart worms are caused by being bitten by a certain type of mosquito. It is usually a deadly disease not showing symtoms until its too late. Thats why having your animals tested every year is imperative. Caught early there is hope, some new and seemingly great treatments have been discovered...I will pray for Molly...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#134454 - 12/12/07 12:56 AM Re: Heart worms [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

The mosquitos here in the south are rampant...they carry in their salava the larva of the worms which make their way to the heart. Despite my treating her she still got it...they're optimistic at the vet center but time will tell. Thanks Chatty for your prayers. She's my baby.

#134455 - 12/12/07 12:52 PM Re: Heart worms [Re: Dee]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
My dogs have never had heartworms, but I know a few who have and have been successfully treated for them. I give my pets meds every month too, but I know my vet has also told me that even with the meds it's possible for the dogs to get heartworms. Your vet is right, and please don't feel that you've done something wrong. I'm glad they caught Molly's early and will hope and pray she comes thru the treatment ok. I know what it's like to have 4-footed-furry babies! My two beagles are my babies. I'm sure you'll take good care of Molly during her treatment and I hope that she'll be fine!!

#134456 - 12/12/07 04:53 PM Re: Heart worms [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dee Offline

Ann...thanks for your encouraging words. I'm feeling optimistic...Molly, poor dear, is going to hate me because I have to keep her on a very short leash for so long. She's used to have the run of 3.2 acres and this is going to really piss her off.

#134458 - 12/13/07 12:34 AM Re: Heart worms [Re: ]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Good question! I don't have any experience with cats and I honestly don't know if they can get heartworms or not. Somebody out there must know.......

#134459 - 12/21/07 02:20 AM Re: Hows Molly doing? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Say Dee, how is Molly doing? Been praying for her and was just wondering, since this condition is such an awful one to get.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#134460 - 01/02/08 05:01 PM Re: Hows Molly doing? [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Dear Crosstitch...yes, cats can get heartworms...at least that's what I read at the vet's office.

Chatty...thanks for asking. I took Molly to the vet on Monday and so far so good. Her lungs and heart sound good...no signs of fluid in her lungs or problems with her heart. She has two more weeks to go being chained up (I hate even saying that), and then back to the vet for the babies to be killed...she must be watched closely for 24 hours after that and then another check and if okay she can run free again. I've promised her that the day she can be off the chain we're going to play chase as long as she has energy for it.
With the weather being so cold I've had a heating pad in her doghouse but since the temps are so low I brought in in this morning...we're expected to be in the teens tonight. I have a fire going and that's keeping us nice and warm. You're a sweetheart for asking about her Chatty...hopefully, in a couple more weeks she'll be back to her old self again.

#134461 - 01/03/08 04:45 PM Re: Hows Molly doing? [Re: Dee]
Dee Offline

My Molly...she's getting tired of confinement, bless her.

#134462 - 01/03/08 05:45 PM Re: Hows Molly doing? [Re: Dee]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Awww, Dee...Molly's a doll (but I don't need to tell YOU that!) Thanks for sharing that sweeeeeeet face!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved