The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#129150 - 10/11/07 09:03 PM Another newbie with pre-retirement jitters
Nan Offline

Hi

I have just found this group and it looks like a very comfortable place. I am a professional woman, struggling with the decision to retire. Any advice will be welcome. My DH is retired and quite frankly, I am worried that the house won't be big enough for two retired folk. I have been in a responsible position and used to getting a fairly high level of respect and lots of decision making power. I guess I'm a little concerned about being a "homemaker" again.

Any advice ?

Nan in Ontario

Edited by Nan (10/11/07 09:05 PM)

#129151 - 10/11/07 09:03 PM Re: Another newbie with pre-retirement jitters [Re: Nan]
Nan Offline

Nan in Ontario

#129152 - 10/11/07 10:25 PM Re: Another newbie with pre-retirement jitters [Re: Nan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Nan, welcome to BWS. I was with a friends last night. One is retiring in a year and another is launching her own business next year. BOomers are all over the map with this retirement situation. The majority of people that I know that are retiring are considering another type of career that is somehow tying in what they love with making money at the same time.

Please visit www.nabbw.com and browse our articles about retirement. Jan Cullinane is our Retirement expert. I recommend her book, The New Retirement. The second edition was just released in August.

I hope you'll stick around and let us get to know you more.

#129153 - 10/12/07 12:26 AM Re: Another newbie with pre-retirement jitters
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Welcome, Nan! I'm in a position a bit like yours. I'm going to cut WAY back on a career I've had since I was five years old! I'm used to getting paid a lot and having complete freedom to do what I want, when I wanted.
I have decided that I'm not "done," meaning, I want to get my hands into other things I care about. I'm doing this by putting my toe in the water in those other areas and finding out if it's a fit. I hope this makes since to you. My husband is retired, retired, meaning he is completely retired. I'm not that sort so I'm doing it my way. He is happy with his hobbies and memories. He also fills his time taking care of the home more and learning to cook, etc... That may be different for a woman though.

dancer

Edited by dancer9 (10/12/07 12:30 AM)

"Question your privilege"

#129154 - 10/12/07 10:00 AM Re: Another newbie with pre-retirement jitters [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Nan, I retired a couple years ago, of course I am single so no man to trip over. I retired and went into my own business and love it. No bosses, my own hours etc. Its great! Maybe you could work part time, that way you will not be together all of the time. Oh, by the way, WELCOME to BWS.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#129155 - 10/12/07 01:42 PM Re: Another newbie with pre-retirement jitters [Re: chatty lady]
Nan Offline

Thank you so much for your support - especially the website to visit. My husband is taking on a lot of the household things that we used to share - more because he feels guilty about me working 40 + hours per week then because he wants to. I think my real issue is to go from being in a position with some authority to becoming a person with limited input into the household. I have been willing to go along with the majority of the household decisions being made by my husband - mostly because I don't really disagree with them and I have enough stress in my life without creating any more due to some sort of power struggle. I can see this won't be the case when I retire.

I guess I'll just have to play it by ear - but I have always worked to a plan and think I should try to negotiate the ground rules before I retire.

Thanks again for your support

Nan

#129156 - 10/12/07 04:23 PM Re: Another newbie with pre-retirement jitters [Re: Nan]
Mountain Ash Offline

Hello Nan from Scotland.
My husband retired before me.He saw to several tasks while I still worked.When I was off work long term prior to retirement I resisted being a retired person .Thought I'd teach a couple of days a week.
In actual fact it took a personal journey where I share with a dear friend the way I felt about being home all the time to find out I like it.We find ourselves in coffee shops midweek and it feels like fun...eat tasty snacks instead of him cooking for himself.I live at a slower pace and have had surgery and been able to heal in my own good time.
For so long I was the career woman...now is a golden time.
I do look out for classes (art and jewellry) and I still strive for personal satisfaction by learning new things.
Let us all know how things go please.
Mountain ash

#129157 - 10/13/07 10:33 AM Re: Another newbie with pre-retirement jitters [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Mountain, I'm glad to hear your recovery is going well. Your carefree style of living sounds like it suits you. That's one thing I like about working from home and for myself. I get to slip out to see friends for lunch to break up the day.

Creating our own midlives is what makes it more exciting. It takes time and lots of planning, but it's worth it in the end.

Nan, be intentional about figuring this next stage out. Take time to put your finger on what you want this second half of your life to look like, then get busy working it out.

#129158 - 10/13/07 11:18 AM Re: Another newbie with pre-retirement jitters
Nan Offline

Thanks - that's good advice. Interesting how in our business life we spend hours writing and analysing plans, but when it comes to our personal life, we just sort of 'let it happen'

Nan

#129159 - 10/14/07 12:26 PM Re: Another newbie with pre-retirement jitters [Re: Nan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Nan, so true. I think it pays to make a life plan at this stage; at least for the next few years, then re-evaluate

Edited by Dotsie (10/14/07 12:27 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved