The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#21755 - 06/05/06 01:19 AM Artist on board
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
Hi all!
I found this group by way of doing web research about baby boomer trends and attitudes, and how this will affect aging in general. Personally, I am out to bust aging stereotypes in general, and I have little contact with most mainstream media - have basically followed my own drummer lifelong as an artist.
Am in pretty good shape and health due to longstanding health and fitness habits since the age of 26(will be 59 on the 21st) - I am not waiting for "government studies" about this or that kind of diet or nutrient, etc. Tend to use alternative medicine almost exclusively, and rely on a largely natural diet, fresh air and sunshine, exercise and spiritual exploration as the cornerstones of health. No plastic surgery, or even high-tech skincare treatments, as my skin is allergic skin. Due to the fact that I am the shopper and food-preparer in our household, my husband of the last nearly 20 years is pretty healthy too. This is really significant as most all the members of his immediate family are overweight and the related tendency towards diabetes is so strong.
As far as personal style, I am eclectic - hand-dyed second-hand finds(I rarely buy new)altered to fit my smallish frame. Tend to wear long belted tunic stuff/layers both short and long over jeans. I don't own any real dresses or skirts as such. Hairwise I'm not in the "let it go gray" camp - my mid-length natural curls are colored a rich coppery brown - looks much better with my complexion, even though my grey hairs are silvery(but they wash me out!). I'm also in the camp of becoming MORE of who I am, rather than disappearing into the woodwork of "tasteful neutrals", conservative clothing, etc. It doesn't always work for women to be more conservative as they age! The regular clothing out there for mature women is just too frumpy/conservative for my taste. What I see alot of here in New Mexico is the "baggy tan linen" syndrome - menopausal ladies who were previously colorful all of a sudden going conservative and cutting their hair off real short to boot(in a misguided statement about vanity no longer being important - hogwash! Ever since the first cavewoman painted mud stripes on her face and decided she looked cool, personal adornment has been part of human history!
My husband and I do alot of digital imaging - me with my art and design, him with photography. we have embraced the digital age as it allows us flexibility, speed, and the ability to not have a whole lot of stuff as we are devotees of simple living. We have lived our whole life together on low income, but don't feel "poor" and have never aspired to have a house, etc. We have been more or less gypsies over the past few years due to house-sitting, and are considering our next adventure which will most likely be relocation to either back to San Francisco(where we lived for many years before moving here to north-central New Mexico)or the powerfully magical Big Island of Hawaii(we were there in a countercultural area for a few weeks at the beginning of this year). I have been longing for leaving our village for a good while, and my husband is finally catching up with me on that matter - I feel dried up here in the desert, and as though I have been "put out to pasture" in a place that no longer suits me!
To see more of what I do:
www.richardshuff.com this is our personal site that has our services, Richard's photography and most of my art.
www.galisteonewmexico.com community website that we designed, artists' pages, etc.

#21756 - 06/05/06 01:27 AM Re: Artist on board
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wowee, wow, wow, cara4art what beautiful artwork. The colors are dazzeling. I loved the bananas in Hawaii picture. So glad you found us and hope you'll be an active member. We have a member that lives in Hawaii, her name is Diamond.

#21757 - 06/05/06 02:25 AM Re: Artist on board
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Welcome! I was born and raised in New Mexico so I enjoyed looking at your site and your art work is beautiful. Glad you found us and hope you come back often and share more.

#21758 - 06/05/06 03:05 AM Re: Artist on board
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Incredible stuff - thanks for sharing!

Kathy

#21759 - 06/05/06 03:40 AM Re: Artist on board
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Welcome and thanks for telling us so much right from the very beginning. How will you make your decision about wehre to go next? I vote for Hawaii.

I am a little familiar with digital imaging because one of my sons is quite interested in it. Your work is lovely.

#21760 - 06/07/06 12:05 AM Re: Artist on board
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
What beautiful art work ! I was particulary impressed with Vonnie Brenno-Cameron. I spent alot of time on the arts page. It's very well done. I love to paint and write. I think if someone has that art gene, there are no limitations. If interested, I can send you a photo of my latest oil painting. I framed it in an old farm window, found in a barn.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved