In talking with Dr. Blair, or Pamela, she offered more of her life AND the book by giving us "Her Story." Please read the following and you'll immediately see why we're very excited about having her join us for September.

In her own words ...

Riding back from the library on a beautiful late March afternoon, feeling the beginnings of spring, I was met head-on at a stop light by a speeding, out of control four wheel drive, teenage-driven vehicle--just one week after I had signed the contract for my first book (I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye)...

The impact of the speeding vehicle caused me to experience extreme whiplash. I was immediately disoriented and dizzy ... One minute I was a newly-contracted, soon-to-be-author, gainfully employed psychotherapist and part-time consultant----the next minute I was suffering a traumatic closed-head brain injury.

One day I was in control of my life and doing for myself, the next day I was dependent on others to make decisions for me, to drive for me, to think logically for me, to help me walk straight and find words, to guide me from room to room when I got lost in my own house. Excerpt from The Next Fifty Years: A Guide for Women at Midlife and Beyond (Hampton Roads, October 2005).

For most of the first year of recovery after the accident, I felt and behaved like I was 80 years old, or more. My daily schedule was suddenly different now, life was going slower than I could have ever imagined -- taking on its own composition, its own movement.

I had to walk with a cane so I wouldn't bang into walls or fall down stairs. I couldn't drive for almost two years because my eyesight and reaction time was compromised and my hearing altered. My neuropsychologist said this was normal. Not for ME it wasn't! I was a hustler, a juggler of many balls in the air. Now I was having trouble recalling how to make toast and remembering the word for milk (I called it "white stuff").

Now I was taking a shower only to forget which comes first, shampoo or conditioner. Did I remember to wash all my parts and rinse off?

It's now eight years since the accident and a lot of healing has taken place. However, I will never forget what I learned from my experience. Living the life of an "80 year old" wasn't so bad and I'm no longer afraid of aging the way I used to be.

When I was forced to cut back on so many of my former activities, I found myself with more time to work on my writing, to sit in the garden, to read for short periods, to be with my grandson and children in ways I'd never had time for in the past. As a 50-year old, 85-year old, I gave up my youthful urgency to control every outcome and every situation. I was finally free to throw myself without conflict, into whatever mattered most. I was deepening, digging into new soil, accessing "new brain", trying on another self, becoming a me I had not known before... and looking forward to the next fifty years.

Pamela D. Blair, Ph.D.
Author, Psychotherapist,
Spiritual Counselor,
Life Coach