Quote:

Kathy,
To what do you attribute the sound money management practices of your family? Were you raised with the same good practices around you? Did you have a "money mentor?"
JJ

My parents had very little money; my dad worked and my mom stayed home. We had only one car, a black and white tv forever, and very few "extras" - but, I never remember them talking about being down to their last nickle. (Now my Mom says they were at that point, many times)

They paid cash for everything and only had a credit card for car rentals and such. I don't remember really talking about money with them, but I must have absorbed some of it.

My hubby and I had our credit card woes when we were younger, and once I realized how long it would take to pay off a $2,000 balance paying only the minimum, I decided I would never carry a balance again. There have been times over the years that I've transferred amounts from one credit card to another, but then paid it off at the next statement.

We've always been fortunate to have jobs and health insurance that are steady. If we had health issues or family tragedies or the bad practices of Jo's bankers, I'm sure we'd be much worse off. I just can't believe how lucky we've been, and I just worry sometimes that the luck won't last forever.

Hang in there Jo, and have faith!

Kathy