You and me both, Songbird. I am amazed at the number of people who think submitting "bad" work is okay. Amazed! When you try and help them, they become offended. Hello?

Maybe I was lucky in that respect because the editors I first worked with were unforgiving. They, along with my veteran writer friends, taught me the importance of editing AND of branding yourself by the final piece you submit. Sometimes in a "in your face" kind of way. I paid attention.

Everybody makes mistakes, and I think for the most part, editors know this and make allowances, but there is no excuse for sloppy work.

Word gets around fast. And people who think editors don't talk among themselves, are fooling only themselves! Here's another tidbit. When an editor needs a fast piece to fill a need, they call their editor friends and say, "hey, you got anybody I can get a good quick write up from?" If you've been faithful and have turned in consistenly good work, guess who the editor recommends? It won't be the person who thinks typos are no big deal...

JJ