I call myself a witch too- at first I was more wiccan but not being very organized or into shoulds I have since felt more grounded in personal beliefs and have become a more solitary .
When I lived in NJ I belonged to a coven and at first we were all feeling our ways, learning, writing ritual but then a few got internet degrees and proclaimed themselves priestesses and then there was a question of letting men in and it became political
So now I celebrate mostly alone altho I have a good friend in Ny and we write ritual together on the computer and then we know that tho miles apart at the same time we are sharing our feelings for the goddess
Also in the summer months twice a month on Sunday afternoons my husband and I go to drum circlesa- open to everyone where you just bang out a rythnm and it just sounds down to your core- it was started by pagans but now has more christians and it's great
We have a huge solstice celebration open to all- a few years ago there was a write up in the paper about the commercialization of Christmas and how the pagan community invited everyone just to come together and welcome back the light of the sun It's beautiful
I do get together with women in my community to dance in circle- it's a winding in and out snaking round dance- alot of us are pagans but it is a dance organized by feminists for the earth
Chants and rounds are part of my celebration too- it's almost a meditative and mezmerizing celebration
it was interesting to hear everyone's way to picture their ONE
i was brought up in the catholic church- it was always God the father , god the son and god the holy spirit- there are alot of books out now that posture that the early church suppressed the feminine- that there was meant to be a balance- that the spirit was the holy feminine
I was in high school when I lost my faith- we had these incredible dedicated nuns who had so much hope that the second Vatican Council would finally allow them to take there rightful places at the altar and then that hope never came true- alot left the convent and I wasn't surprised when Dahti told me she knew alot of ex- nuns who are witches!