I've been unable to post for almost 2 weeks--mostly spending time getting kids back off to college and getting writing done. But I'm really glad to see this topic. Thanks Meredith and Dotsie for starting it.
My form of Wicca is very much like Pattyann's--in fact I've really enjoyed comparing notes with her a little. I consider myself a Dianic wiccan which means it is basically woman based. I have a group of women I meet with a few times a year for a weekend at a time and we have a lovely time. We're mostly boomer women, though we do have younger women who meet with us also. I have been through training through a woman's spirituality organization and am considering taking the final training to become ordained.
Pattyann described things very well--nature is our main focus.
I appreciate the opportunity to share here. If you believe in astrology at all, I suppose it's the libra in me--I like things to be balanced and get to hear from all sides of things.
Smile--I loved your saying that you believe your prayers to your God will be answered by their Gods (and might I just add, Goddesses). That's the way I've always felt about it, especially since I played music for many different faiths as a substitute for years. Part of my training was to do a comparative religions study and I spent time attending different services. It was fascinating to me.
The only hard time I've had was when I went to a program that a particular church put on near Halloween that they advertised as a "real" explanation of Halloween. I went out of curiosity and a naive belief that I could somehow share in the way I see this group doing. They turned out to be one very scary bunch who whipped themselves into a frenzy over a movie and talk about Wicca being devil worship and witches eating babies at Halloween. And they were serious. I was sad for days after that there was no way to get through to them that there were many different paths for people to take and that that is a good thing. Plus, I'm a vegetarian so I've had to forgo the baby eating. (Okay, bad joke I know.)
Pattyann mentioned that Wicca is a fast growing religion. I think people would be surprised at how many people around them are wiccan. Most of us don't stand out--we're just like everyone else with the same worries, families, joys and sense of caring.
Okay, enough now. I have to catch up on some of the other forums and start posting again.
Dahti

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published May 2004 by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com