Misfire
Member # 259

posted July 27, 2005 12:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was thinking about starting a new topic on "teaching" --- it's a good thing I read the posts here first.

Like Lynn, I'm seriously thinking about becoming a certified teacher. I may have to go back to school first, but what the heck, I'm only 52.

From age 22 to 37, I worked for the Dept of Defense as an engineering psychologist. I designed and conducted experiments to learn the best ways to design small hand-held computer equipment for combat. I did my master's thesis on text-editing performance on small screen displays --- was I ahead of my time or what? At age 37, with a baby and a toddler at home, I resigned from my federal career to be a full-time homemaker. It was the best decision that I've ever made -- next to marrying my wonderful husband.

But, now, it's past time for me to do something that I can feel passionate about just for me and, even more importantly, intellectually stimulated.

Recently, I discovered that our local public school system has an Outdoor Science Education Program. For the last 9 years, I've been a volunteer trail guide to school children at our local nature center. While I've been home with my girls, I've served as a guest judge at our local school's Science Fair and I've developed and conducted outdoor "workshops" on fireflys, ladybugs, and hummingbirds in our neighborhood's summer camp. I've also taught kids how to knit. Gee, I think that I like to teach.

Now, I've got to get past my fear of failure or "not being good enough" and find out what I have to do to qualify to be a teacher in the Outdoor Science Education program. I've checked out the school system's website and know where to start, but I haven't taken any steps yet. Somebody kick me and get me started on this idea. What's the worst that could happen --- I might find out that I love outdoor education --- I already know that I don't want to be stuck inside a classroom -- I might find out that I've finally discovered what I want to be when I grow up --- and I might actually get paid while I'm doing it!!

--------------------
Gülpercim, güzelim meslelini birakip ates
böcekleri ile ugrasiyor, 52 yasinda okula gidecek bu tur seyler yalnizca amerikada olur!
Entresan buldum. öptüm seni,ayten