That’s a very interesting question, and an important question, even as it’s a difficult question to answer. I mean, on some level, I’d have to say “no,” I don’t think it’s possible to heal 100% simply because it’s impossible to be the woman I would have grown up to be, if this had never happened to me. And of course I don’t know who that woman would be (or would have been). In other words, I’ll never know what I would be like right now if my father hadn’t molested me when I was a child.

Having said that, though, I don’t feel as if the past “rules” my life anymore, either. After years of therapy, I feel relatively content—oh, you know, good days, bad days—but not mired in the past. Also no longer am I mired in self-destructive behavior.

So, what’s sad about the women you mention, who are inmates, is that it sounds as if they didn’t have the resources (financial, emotional, etc.) to seek help. That is very sad that our culture, our society, doesn’t do more to help people in these emergency situations. Locking these women up in prison isn’t a recovery program by any stretch of the imagination. Our society is so confused as to how to handle these things.

So my feeling is that if a woman can undergo therapy, some kind of strong recovery program, then it’s definitely possible to reach a place where you have a life that’s more than mere existence—certainly more than self-destructive behavior. You know, I have some terrific women friends, I have a lovely partner, Marc, I have my writing, teaching. And, emotionally, I am usually able to be in touch with my feelings (whereas I used to numb them). So that’s a lot! And I'm very grateful. I hope this (more or less) answers your question! Sue