Judy, I was at AT&T from 1986 to about 1990. (I have this 4-year thing going in my career life -- LOL)

After many bad relationships with men, I finally did the work on myself. Gee, men got better! Or I attracted better men. Or something. :--))

I'm a feminist with the "partnership" and "equality" ideas. I don't think men are bad, just that we tend to socialize them as leaders, "in-charge," have to have all the answers, etc. I have many male friends and they say that all of that can be exhausting after a while.

However, in the corporate world, I think it's difficult for them to give up that power. And to compete, many women adopt the "hierarchical" power mode. It's all part of those unwritten corporate rules. And if you don't comply, watch out!

I think my caution around corporations began when my father, an RCA company man, was laid off around the age of 56 or so. He was devistated. I was in college and my mom was ill with cancer. Somehow he managed to get through all of that and remarried, but he was never happy. Ultimately, he committed suicide. I don't think the corporation was to blame for that, he was never a happy man. But I think the construct in which we raise our male children can leave them with fewer options than we might like.

Sorry for the long-windedness!