Dotsie,

I was one of those women. I discovered a benign (Thank God!)brain tumor called an acoustic neuroma. The operation to remove it took 5 doctors 6 hours. I lost hearing in my left ear and my balance is still poor, but not terrible. My doctor daughter helped me get to one of the best surgeons for that problem. It was because of that surgery that I decided to retire early, but since I had started at AT&T during college I was pension-eligible.

As for those that have to keep working, I'd tell them just to remember that on your deathbed you will not be wishing you had one more day or one more hour in the office. After my surgery, I tried to cut back, but it was hard because I am driven. What I did do was to stop letting the bastards get me down and I think I did that very successfully. One day a guy a level higher than me threatened to have me fired if I didn't hurry up and get something he needed done. Oh, by the way, he wanted me to fix a problem he'd created. I just looked at him and calmly told him that I was already doing my best and he could do whatever he wanted. I wish I'd been that cool my whole career. It's a shame it takes a brain tumor to enable you to better understand what counts.

Judy