Kam
I understand the responsibility of being a woman in management for a corporation. I know how dependent you are on those under you because I was once there. But as a manager, I had no idea of how being an owner "felt."

There is a huge difference between being a strong woman in management for a large corporation and owning the corporation. If you are in managemnent and those working under you let you down, you may not be promoted or even be fired, but hopefully the corporation will survive. Also, you only have your time and perhaps your ego invested, but as an owner, you have such a greater investment and such responsibility.

If you own the company and you fail, even if it is the result of the failure of those under you, not only are you in danger, the whole company is in danger. The jobs of many people hang in the balance and you lose not only your work, but your ego, your heart, and your financial investment.

Sometimes an owner has to be tough on an individual to benefit the whole of the company. And the employees can't know all of the issues involved in what may appear to be ridiculous corporate decisions.

My point is that I don't think corporations are simply unfeeling entities. Decisions are made by compassionate people who must act for the beneifit of all of the investors and employees depending on them. Of course there are mistakes made and the buck stops at the top so there is great responsibility.

I think it would be beneficial for employees, especially in upper management, to consider the company from the perspective of an owner as well as from their own position and understand how the responsibility of owning a business constantly hangs heavy over an owner's heart.

I'm sure there are others on here who have owned large businesses and made difficult decisions. Understanding that it is no one's fault and that owners are not unfeeling ogres might help those who have been displaced by corporate decisions.
smile

[ November 07, 2005, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]