Thank you Dotsie for your invitation to be the Featured Author here this month. It's a scary proposition, but with depression such an epidemic these days, it's an important health concern.

One of the reasons I wrote Eagle Born to Fly is because most books on depression are written from the therapeutic perspective. In my experience, they often made me feel worse and even more of a failure, because I wasn’t “healed” by the end of the book or by following the various authors’ “10 steps to full recovery”.

I wanted to write a book on depression from the inside perspective. I wanted “Eagle Born to Fly” to be a compassionate companion for anyone else struggling with depression, or struggling to understand loved ones who suffer from it.

So in Eagle, I’ve tried to provide a very personal glimpse into the scary maze of dark and mangled thinking that often debilitates those of us who suffer from depression. By allowing the reader to enter my own journey through that maze, my hope is that Eagle will speak hope and encouragement to anyone else who is stuck in their own quicksand of mangled thinking.

There are four main themes that you will probably see weaving through here over the next month:

1. You are not alone.

2. God has not abandoned you.

3. You are more than your depression: don't let depression define the totality of who you are.

4. Depression is a bona fide illness...be compassionate with yourself! Compassion for self may be our best map out of the darkness.