Hi Lori and all,

We returned from South Dakota, they had to bring me back kicking and screaming. I just loooove that country!

I convinced my interstate driving husband to drive the back roads...I love going through those "typical Amercian" small towns.

Our car was packed to the gills with my hubby, 2 children, and my teenagers' boyfriend. We call him "Herbo" (her bo, get it?). He has never been out of MD or NJ, so it was so much fun taking him with us. (he's actually a very nice young man, but not good enough for our daughter. (you know) lol))

We stayed in Custer Stated park this time in a lovely camping cabin. This is really a glorified hotel room with the ability to build a campfire right outside your door, but that REALLY works for me. So, you get the luxury of your own bathroom, running water, electricity, beds, and (don't lose your mind here) cable t.v....with the charm of cooking on the campfire (the MEN do the cooking) and eating way too many smores! Loved it!

We hiked "Harney Peak"...and if you are EVER in S.Dakota -- this is a MUST DO! Now, it is definitly like planned torture, but when you get to the top - you are on the top of the world. It is amazing! The hike should have taken us about 3.5 hours - but we did the Lori "backroad" thing (lol) and it took us about 5 and 1/2. Ughhhh. We had two smokers and a 3 yr old with us...need I say more! I kept reminding everyone to ENJOY THE JOURNEY...we had a great time.

I tested "speaking faith" into the 3 yr old...I told her she was the best hiker in the group...and that she was the princess of hiking. You sould have seen that kid walk. 3 miles one way, 1 mile almost straight up at the end. I made sure she was the first to reach the summitt and applauded her! (she's a peanut also - the steps at the end came up to her waist, and she still went up them unassisted).

I've decided that "home on the range" was written about the black hills. "Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam, where the deer and the antelope play...where seldom is heard, a discouraging word...and the skys are not cloudy all day" (or something like that)

The people of s. dakota are wonderfully nice and warm.

My hubby and I are planning our summer home there when we've achieved financial freedom. Woo hooo S.Dakota, look out. The Jones' are a coming!

danita