Lori,
I am interested in Explorer's question, but while you're waiting for her reply, I'll ask a couple of questions.
My husband and I are planning a driving trip to D.C. with our 8 yr. old grandson, Alex, this summer. We have a self contained travel van so we will take that. It's pretty much ad lib, but we thought it would be fun to stay at a RV camp along the way then in a hotel in any large cities.
I've camped all over the country when I was younger, but I'm a little freaked about sleeping in the RV with Alex. Is it safe? Do you think those RV camping places are safe? Should we take a gun? Is that legal?
We will be traveling from Branson, MO to D.C. on the way east and some route through Memphis and onto I-40 to visit family on the way back. (And I absolutely have to go back to Graceland). [Smile] I would like Alex to see the Ozarks and maybe the Appalachians.
We need any ideas you might have for off the beaten path routes and stuff to see along the way. We will need lots of time in D.C. because there is so much there for our grandson, but because he has traveled only by plane before, we want him to see some of the countryside.
If we survive we're thinking about taking all the grandkids west next summer. On the maiden voyage, we definitely don't want to be outnumbered. [Smile]
smile

[ May 05, 2005, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]