I just discovered a post from a new member, Explorer. She posted a question about traveling safely. She posted her question as a new topic, but I think she may have meant to post it in this thread. Because it's such a good question, I'm going to try and cut and past it and then answer it here, in this thread. From Explorer:

Hi Lori,
I enjoyed reading your book and must say I felt a little envious of your ability to travel alone or just with your kids (even though they sound quite mature) -- in other words, without another adult who can help you make decisions, stay safe, whatever. Any big tips you can share to help some of the rest of us get over our apprehension and have the courage to travel alone or without another adult? Thanks!

-----
Explorer, this is a great question, which really has two levels: One -- how to start traveling without a spouse or other adult and then, two -- once you're out there, what can you do to stay safe?

On the first question, my biggest tip is to start small. Travel alone to someplace close to home. You can start with "trips" as small as dining out by yourself or going to a movie or to a museum alone. Get the hang of getting out there doing things by yourself by doing things in your own backyard. These small "trips" have a built-in psychological safety net, so you can get used to being on your own without much risk. As you get comfortable, go a little farther. Perhaps a day trip up the coast to some beaches or to an interesting town with good shopping. Then, when you discover that you handled the day trip just fine, expand to an overnight or to a weekend. Before you know it, you'll be ready to go anywhere on your own, because you've done it. Another suggestion for getting started is to go on a tour. Sign up as a single. You're traveling alone, but you have the "safety net" of having others around you during the trip. You can interact with them as much or as little as you wish. But the act of signing up and showing up at the airport by yourself is an accomplishment that proves you're able to get out there, even if there's no handy spouse or friend or significant other available or interested in traveling with you. (Or maybe there is, but you simply want to travel solo. I find solo travel extremely relaxing and fulfilling. )

And, some quick safety tips. This post is getting a bit long, so I'll throw out one or two biggies and then return to this topic in future posts. The biggest key is to do whatever you can to reduce your vulnerability.

1. Blend in. Leave the bling and the heels and the big-time decolletage at home. When you're alone, while it's always flattering to attract attention, you risk attracting it from unsavory sorts. Reduce the risk by acting and dressing low-key.

2. I'm not a party person or a nightlife-lover, so this next piece of advice fits in well with my travel style: get out and explore a place and do all the things you want to do before dark. Unless I'm with a friend, my husband, or other adults, I'm always in my hotel room or campsite or whatever when the sun goes down (unless, of course, there's some special event that's an enriching part of the trip). Two examples from our American road trip: We spent several days in New Orleans, where we fell in love with the French Quarter. We visited often, but we left the late night scene to the revelers and got our fill during morning, afternoon and early evening hours. The same in Memphis. We took in the Beale Street scene, listening to blues and eating po'boys in the cafes and cruising the avenue, but we retreated to our hotel pool at 7 pm, when the seriously armed and muscled cops started turning out in groups of three to patrol the "block party" that was sure to erupt after dark. I absorbed the Quarter, and I absorbed the essence of Beal Street, but I did it before the sun went down, in safety.

3. Biggie number three: Trust your intuition. I can't stress this enough. I've learned over 25 years of traveling, probably 75% of which has been either alone or with one or both of my kids, to listen without question to that little voice inside your head. I believe God gave us intuition as a built-in safety device. It's our gut reaction to something, and when that voice speaks, I listen. Without hesitation. I know that voice has kept me out of trouble. And I also know that there have been times when I "debated" with that voice, ignored it, justified some other course of action -- and ran into problems. So now, I simply do what it says, and I do it right away.

More later on traveling alone and staying safe (which translates into traveling more and having fun!)

(and Explore, just hit "Add Reply" if you'd like to chat in this thread. "New Topic" will send you out of this thread, and I may not be able to find you... [Smile] I'm a "forum newbie" myself, and am also just learning the ropes...