Chick, I don't have any of the stuff I sold saved digitally but thanks for asking.

Tell you what I learned, though == _very_ few people support themselves solely on either freelance writing or painting. Not only that, but I found that magazine editors expected a heck of a lot for the measley sums they were willing to pay. Rewrites, reedits, go back and find out this or that, etc.

My son in law, who's an excellent artist, was counseled by an art teacher that unless he had a trust fund, he shouldn't think he could support himself with fine art.

Making crafts is another story, but also very tough.

Also, Chick, as to your original question, during my divorce was when I started my IRA, with investment advice from my dad. That was 9 years ago. I since converted it to a ROTH IRA. And I didn't have money to spare, that's for sure. My future was very uncertain and I didn't have a full time job.

I invest in the stock market. One thing to look into is Direct Reinvestment Plans (DRIPs). You can find information on line. These are stocks you buy directly, without a broker. They're better than savings accounts -- if you watch over them and choose the right ones.

Because I don't invest in blue chips, I didn't suffer much during the 2001 crash. I didn't sell off, but held on, and everything bounced back.