Okay, I posted before about the guy who is an attorney turned writer/agent/publisher. He's having a literary conference with a writing contest and an expensive banquet where the prizes will be presented along with publication in his online magazine.
He is charging a $20 entry fee to the contest and $135 conference fee plus I think it was $85 for the banquet. His conference speakers are agents and publishers--(himself and his wife) and a couple of published authors - (himself and his wife and another guy vanity published by his publishing company).

I can't believe how many of my writer friends are submitting work and going to the conference. Seems like a rip off to me. As to profit, the guy is apparently making more money than he would make as an attorney.

The non-profit writer groups to which I belong usually make a small profit that they use to get the next year's conference going and pay expenses for speakers, etc. A lot of the speakers turn out to be friends of those in charge or someone they hope to influence, but usually the program is somewhat instructional.

Hope that helps. I don't think there is one answer.
smile