I've had my credit card info stolen from an online purchase and before the bank and I caught it over 2,000 was purchased in other online products. The bank erased all the purchases and cancelled my card instantly. I've had my bank call me several times over "unusual" purchases and I appreciate their calls. It helps me realize that someone is watching those purchases and flagging them for possible fraud.

I set up a second checking account with a check card for purchases online. That account has a low dollar value so that if it is stolen from an online purchase there isn't much in it.

Now, I do my banking online with Bank of America and I pull up my statement every few days and go over it carefully. I'm watchful for any purchases not made by my husband or myself.

We shred any piece of paper or mail that has any personal information on it. Especially those credit card applications. And, I shred those cards that come with them.

I suggest that everyone invest in a good shredder and put it to good use. It could be a save you a lot of hassle someday.