Well, what an interesting topic...

You see, I met my husband through an online dating service. That said, we were both local people. I don't believe I would ever have gotten involved with someone who was clear across the country. As an earlier poster said, I met him in public at a restaurant for dinner. We both drove to the restaurant--that way if we absolutely hated one another, or if he turned out to be some sort of idiot I would have an escape. I would NOT recommend that any woman be picked up at her home by a guy she met online. One's home address should not be given out at all until one knows the other person well, IMHO.

All that said, I believe that dating services are a far cry from just going online in a chat room and meeting someone, although anyone can lie at any time. However, if one has to pay for the service it cuts some of the scum out.

I did have guys approach me through chat rooms, although I never went into many of them (I'm not a fan of chat rooms.) I even had a guy from Russia try to hook up with me---and he was married!

I do believe that if one uses one's head, meeting someone online (i.e. Matchmaker.com or something of that sort) can work. It did for me! One just has to weed out the idiots...and don't meet anyone anywhere except in a public place!