Whirlwind, you hit the nail on the proverbial head. It's loneliness. Our society isn't as "social" as it once was. People are working more, spending more time on their computer instead of getting out and about. We're feeding our need for socialization by using the computer instead of getting out and about. With that socialization we're using the computer as a way to meet people of the opposite sex and develop intimate, even sexual relationships with them.

Plus, we've fallen into that trap where it's easier to "say" something in writing, than it is to say it in person. People will open up and tell some of the most personal, intimate details of their life to perfect strangers on the Internet. If they were speaking in person, they'd probably be much more withdrawn and withhold those kinds of details.

There is a sense of safety there as you sit behind your computer screen that can't be carried forward when people meet in person. I don't care how long you've spoken on the telephone, or how much you've written to each other, if you meet in person, you're still meeting a stranger.

Most every child knows, A Stranger is Danger.

I understand that there are success stories when it comes to meeting people on the Internet. It happens. And when it does, people gush about how serendipitous it was that they found each other. But for every one success there are thousands of heartbreaking failures.

Why do they fail? For one, because people are not as truthful as they could be when hiding behind the safety of their computer screen. For another, because developing a relationship with someone takes time and work and a compliment of all the senses. See, Hear, Touch, Taste, Smell and Perception. It's difficult to experience all those senses when you're sitting at a computer screen typing on a keyboard. For most computer relationships, time and work is left out as well, because the "relationship" moves so quickly into intimacy without following a natural progression of getting to know someone and developing a trust.

Now, with all that said, there are other kinds of relationships (non sexual) that people develop online that can be healthy, like the ones we've developed here at BWS. This is a great example of where people desire to socialize with likeminded folk and a means to a need was developed.

However, even meeting people you've met here should still follow general safety guidelines. Meet in public, tell someone where you're going and when you should be back, etc.

I shall step off my soapbox now and stop talking. I think I've made my point. [Wink]