The cathead biscuits remind me of my old maid aunt who died about 3 weeks ago. She lived with my granny whose house was a converted Indian fort. It was made of hand hewn logs and had wood stoves and kerosene lamps. (Granny didn't have electricity or gas until the mid seventies when she got a new "Indian house.")

My sister and I stayed with our granny a lot when we were small. Aunt Beaut (Beaulah) cooked for us and the field hands if we had any. Every morning she got up and stoked the fire in the cook stove then she got a big stoneware bowl and filled it almost to the top with flour. She added some milk (maybe butter milk, I'm not sure. It came from a cow for sure though) in the middle then she added salt and baking powder and started pulling the flour into the mixture. Somewhere along the way she would add some bacon grease and eventually she would put the mixture on a board and cut out biscuits which she then baked in the wood stove's oven.

She would cook up a bunch of eggs and bacon or sausage and gravy and sometimes oatmeal on the top of the stove and that was breakfast. Mmmmmm. Of course as soon as she was finished with that she heated water for the clean up and got started on lunch.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I had biscuits (from a can), eggs, sausage, and hashbrowns for breakfast. Yummmm.

smile

I hardly ever tell anyone about my grandparents because I figure they'd think I'm either very old or lying. Thistle Cove farm sounds a lot like Granny's place only more modern.