Lucille,
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I don't think Katie means to be attacking devils in the larger sense. My feeling is that she wants us to be sure of the truth before we do anything drastic. So it's really checking in and checking in that we are living by reality as it exists now, or are we living in our story. I use this method when someone I am coaching is "stuck" in their story. They can't get past their particular view of reality, but they must get past it in order to grow.

It can also help us be really clear in our communication with others. I was first taught this when I was having issues with my sister. In the process, I realized I had never clearly laid out what the issues were with her. I had constructed a whole personna around her based on little input from her. Now, we aren't buddy buddy, but since I clearly laid it out in a letter to her, we are back to communicating.

However, no matter how much I were to use this method with my alcoholic ex-husband -- he's still an active alcoholic and I'm glad he's the ex-.

Am I making sense?