Someone asked me about our local art club and what we do. I'm not sure where this fits in, but I thought perhaps enjoyable hobbies would be the most logical place to answer.
In our art club, we meet once a month for a short informal meeting, followed by a work session. Last month we painted flowers, with whichever medium we prefer. I did a painting of a sunflower with watercolors. We usually have a suggested theme, but this is more to inspire than to limit. No one is limited to working on the theme, some of us work on whatever project we have started, or we start a new project.
Sometimes we omit the meeting and have a tour or a party (Christmas). We have toured museums, historic mansions, art galleries, shopped in artistic towns (Lindsborg or Manhattan, Ks.)
Right now our membership is way down, and we are looking for new members. I wish there was a way to include an online membership, but I don't know how this could be achieved without physical presence by members. I am working on a website for our club, but it needs lots of work yet.
We keep dues low, $5 per year, we show our work in the local bank and nursing home, besides showing independently as we choose. Some of us sell our work, some paint for family members.
Art club is very important to me. I express myself in many ways, through my paintings, crocheting, photography, writing, both hard copy and online. I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite. Art Club gives me a chance to share my work with others for constructive feedback and encouragement. It is very good for the ego and keeps me inspired to continue working at my hobbies.
How many of you are involved with an organization that helps give you an emotional or social "boost"?