Jabber, Yonuh, the concept of moving to a totally different state is an interesting one, and one that I have given a little bit of thought to, myself. Especially since it is cold any yucky here, too. Started snowing again in the early afternoon, and I think we are going to be having subzero temps again for the next few days.

so we've also toyed with the idea of moving, but not found any better place to be -- yet. Here's how our thinking goes so far...

First, we need to recognize that Steve wears leg braces and here in NW Illinois he finds it hard to get around as freely as he might like during the winter months. But he's an Illinois boy born and bred, so it's what he's used to...

Moving to Arizona is not something he's interested in: having visited my mother there, we know it is a desert state and that he would be terribly uncomfortable living where they are (near Tucson) during any months other than winter ones.

I know, I know, one can always stay inside in air conditioning, but that is just as limiting of one's mobility as is ice and snow. Plus, since we are not acclimated to the desert, we just plain find it too darn hot down there in the Southwest...

(I do recognize that there are mountainous areas of New Mexico and Arizona, but I don't know much about them. They MIGHT be a possibility.)

We've visited Las Vegas and absolutely hated it. We've also visited Lake Tahoe and loved it, but it is terribly expensive to live there. Or so I've surmised. So I guess Nevada's tax advantages will fail to lure us.

My brother lives in Dallas, and has been there for several decades, so I guess he likes it. But quite often it is just as hot as Arizona -- plus it is humid. So again, while the state's tax advantages are something we recognize, I'm not sure we would ever choose to live there.

I don't think I would like Florida for similar reasons. Hot and humid weather just do not entice.

I like four seasons, so I'm also ruling out California.

I'm Wisconsin born and bred, so I have some interest in moving back to my home town of Madison, which is a beautiful and highly cultured city. Plus employment opportunities seem to be good there, in the tech industry, which would benefit Steve. But my daughter, who lives in Milwaukee, doesn't like the current governor, so she doesn't think we should look that way. While I realize governors can change, the bottom line is, moving NORTH doesn't get us out of the winter snow situation...

And at that point in my search, I start looking to states like Tennessee or the Carolinas... I haven't done any research on them, so they presently remain unknown potentials.

Wherever we would move, it would have to be to a place where there is good and easily available medical care. Including access to orthotists -- experts who we work with the maintain Steve's leg braces in good condition. Right now, we have an excellent source for this work, and Steve would not want to give that up, unless he knew he could get equal or better support elsewhere. Not to mention that we have excellent medical services here -- both doctors and medical centers. I can't say the same about the resources available to my mother in Arizona. So clearly good medical care opportunities are not universally available.

Anyone have any suggestions?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com