I can attest to walking as a way of managing Type II diabetes. My husband was diagnosed quite a few years ago. About two years ago, his sugar was out of control, though still not requiring insulin. The doctor changed his meds, and lectured him about exercise being crucial. So hubby started walking, and has continued to walk, every morning for about 30 minutes. When he can't walk outside, we either go to the mall to walk there or he uses the treadmill. The results have been very good...even the doctor is impressed. Hubby's sugar is consistently below the official diabetic level.

I was also diagnosed as diabetic, but my doctor gave me 6 months to manage it with diet and exercise...I do still struggle with exercise...with feet, knees and back that ache constantly, it's hard to be motivated, because all exercise hurts. But I do try, I deliberately do our two flights of stairs, top to bottom and bottom to top, several times a day; I try to walk 10-20 minutes every day, even if only at the mall and I do simple stretching exercises as often as I think to do them. What I have also been doing is being disciplined in my diet. I don't deprive myself of my favourite foods, but I exercise portion control, and that alone has made a big difference. Choosing a smaller size plate has been key.

My last blood tests came back with the words "Non-diabetic" !!!! So even the little bit of exercise that I DO manage to do and these dietary changes are working. I'm no longer officially diabetic, though I will continue to diet and exercise as if I am, because it's a healthier lifestyle.

(Maya Angelou)