I love my current iPhone. It is my constant companion, dawn to dusk, and I am amazed at the power it has. After all, I still remember doing research for my thesis in the md-70s -- and having to key the results onto punch cards for analysis.

(Not that I am complaining, had it been a few years earlier, I would have had to crunch all those numbers manually.)

Back then, those punch cards had to be taken to the University's Computing Center, a huge building which housed a big ol' UNIVAC computer.

Now they tell us that the computing power contained in our smart phones is much greater than what those behemoths could muster -- and yet my smartphone easily fits into my pocket!!

** So I use my phone to check the weather -- for about 10 locations I care about -- at whim.

** I also use it to check my email and Facebook accounts, and keep track of my grocery lists.

** I get news on it -- from a variety of sources, of course. And at my convenience.

** I communicate with friends via text.

** I can watch TV shows on it...

** And now and then I even use it as a phone!

But all silliness aside, I'm not sure what I think about the new iPhone -- 5s is it? -- the pricier one. Do I really like the idea that I have to identify myself to it via my fingerprint?

I guess I see that this might be easier than having to remember and constantly key in a password sequence in order to upload apps, or use the phone. And maybe it is a level of security that is designed to deter theft. After all, if a stolen phone can't be used without the fingerprint -- maybe there is less reason to steal them. (Though I suspect thieves will quickly have a work-around for this.)

But the bigger question is "Big Brother," IMHO. If I am using my fingerprint to ID my phone, how long will it be before it -- like my social security number -- becomes needed to ID me at my bank, my grocery store, and etc. And suddenly - even though I have never been arrested, somehow my fingerprints are on file with the NSA... It's a slippery slope in my opinion.

Here's an article from Entrepreneur.com, which addresses this exact point.

so tell me, what do you think about finger print ID? And feel free to comment on the phones too!

Anne

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com