Several years ago, my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. My parents were told that he had up to 18 months of life remaining. He began treatment, and he actually enjoyed reasonably good quality of life for a good portion of that period. As if almost on cue, as he approached the end of the 18 month time frame, he began a rapid deterioration. When I arrived from out of state, I was astounded to discover that the doctor was still ordering radiation treatments. Every muscle movement produced pain, and they were preparing to take him yet again to radiation. I said, "Whoa! Stop right here." I took my mom aside and said, "I realize that you want to continue to give him hope, but at this point, he needs to be kept as pain free and comfortable as possible--not being taken for more treatment. It is not going to cure him, and it is hurting him. Let's make him comfortable now." She agreed, but she would never have made that decision on her own, nor did it even occur to her to advocate for him. She just went along with the program because she thought that's what one had to do. Hospice was called in, and his last days were at least peaceful and pain free. He passed away within two weeks. I have absolutely no regrets that we didn't continue putting him through a painful ordeal of treatment as a last ditch effort to keep him here. Quality of life is a huge consideration, and while we risk the appearance of playing "God" in decision-making for loved ones, it is heartbreaking to see your loved one needlessly suffering when the end result will not be altered. The inevitable is merely being delayed at their expense. He was ready to go--physically, emotionally and spiritually...and given the same set of circumstances with my dear mother, I would make an identical decision. I would hope that someone would do the same for me.