Being alone is certainly not something any of us generally put much time into thinking about, but I do think it is something about which we can and should put some (at least generic) plans into place.

At least to the point of making sure that each person in a relationship has a life insurance policy with their significant other named as beneficiary. And that we have created wills, which spell out arrangements that assure that each half of any couple, whether married or not, are financially protected in the case of the death of a partner. By that I mean, the survivor will not become homeless, at minimum.

To my way of thinking, these sorts of financial arrangements, while not something we want to think about, can be planned for. And should be.

Of course, that does not in any way take care of the devastating emotional losses we will certainly suffer. But it is planning that assures we don't have to worry about losing the comforts of our homes at a time when we are living in grief.

Maybe I am speaking too analytically; after all, I did spend a year selling life insurance and annuities. But I think all couples need to spend some time making these plans. So they can spend the rest of their time enjoying their lives.

And as I type this, I can tell you that both Steve and I need to update our wills. They were written when the children were minors. And spell out things such as who will become their guardians. as they're both in their 30s these days, anyone reading our wills today would certainly get a laugh!!

So note to self: Find time for Steve and I to review our wills, determine what we'd like changed, and make an appointment with our attorney to get it done.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com