Jabber, I have never understood God to be a granter of requests. Rather, that his love and grace would sustain people through the darkest times and that the faithful would be happy with him in heaven. I don't think that 'the righteous will face many troubles but the Lord will rescue them' means that our monetary or physical troubles will disappear. The faithful will be comforted by God's love. We will all die. We will all have troubles.

Christians are supposed to be God's soldiers and soldiers will be tested in battle. You know, if believers had perfect lives there wouldn't be much need for heaven, and Jesus said that his Kingdom was not of this earth.

I know it is terribly painful and confusing when good people suffer, but I thought we were supposed to, as others have said, concentrate on God's love. I'll readily admit that often this doesn't make sense: we want things to seem logical and they don't.

I am reminded of the story of the footprints in the sand with the person walking side by side with god, then asking why there was only one set during the person's darkest times. God's reply: "those were the times I carried you." I know it's just a story, but it's a good way to illustrate what we're supposed to remember. At least that's how I take it. Much comfort in the loss of your friend; it's never easy.