Update:
I have now had two bad experiences with magazine jobs. Both companies had me sell ads and didn't pay me. So, I have decided to go a different route once again. I was just trying to increase my income and no retail jobs were out there. I recently had a call from a recruitment agency. I had posted my resume online over six months ago. This agency had a great job opportunity they wanted to offer me. I am sharing this as I have been out of the loop for 12 years being at the same company, times have changed.
I went through the interview stage, first a phone interview, next an online test, then a face to face interview with two people. They had pages and pages of questions for me. While one person asked the other took notes. This went on for an hour. I found out they originally had 10 candidates, then it was down to 5 then two, myself and one other person.
I did not get the job.

One great thing about recruitment agencies is they talk to the employer later and find out why you did not get the job. This is so helpful. I was surprised why I did not get it.

One reason; I have been in my current job for too long, 12 years. That was a negative, who would have thought. They said 6 to 8 years ok, but 12, too long.

Next, I needed to have proof of my sales performance in my current job. The other candidate had performance evaluations at their job. They had quotas to meet and this was all recorded and they brought this info to the interview. My company does not do this, I have quotas but I make them for myself. My company is not a great company at all and doesn't keep on top of this. I had no proof that I increased sales or met quotas even though I did. I didn't want them contacting my current job for this info so I lost out.

I would hate to think part of it is they found out through round about questioning that I am a single parent. This is not a negative as such, but there was some travel involved and maybe they felt that would be a problem for me.

It was a great experience and I am glad to have gone through it even though I was disappointed. The job paid very well with lots of perks, pension, 100% medical, dental etc. so they had to get the right fit. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason and I think this experience, both the other magazine job experiences have led me to believe it's time to get out of sales.

Back to my original plan, try to get on with the school board working with special need children. So, while I am working towards that at least I still have me lousy magazine job that I have been at for 12 years. My pay continues to drop due to revenue in sales dropping but.....at least I can take some needed time to figure out the remaining years of my working life and find something I will truly love, something rewarding where I can give back.
Kate