Two years ago on 1st April I smoked my very last cigarette.....

The fact that this momentous event was followed, within hours, by my heart attack made the moment even more memorable. Memorable because - despite ignoring all the warnings for years - I am among the 'lucky ones' who are still around to tell the tale.

I don't know why I chose to ignore all the advice of 'everyone'. Pressure of work - Always away from home - Constant long journeys driving on my own - Most of my friends smoked too!!! So many 'reasons' that some people always saw as excuses.... No I didn't want to give up!!! It was MY life - and MY choice - and that was the end of it! Well it nearly was 'the end of it' - My life that is.

But I survived, and I'm still the same 'happy go lucky' person, though I will admit, I'm just a little bit (well quite a lot), better off financially than I was before I became a 'non smoking senior citizen'. But I'm not one of those ex-nicotine addicts who 'tut tut's every time anyone with a cigarette comes near. I remember quite clearly how nasty some people were to me (and others) when I smoked... I could never be like that!

But I will confess that I have, on just a couple of occasions felt like having a cigarette. The first time was when I was allowed to drive 'on my own' again following the HA. When I shut the car door, latched the seat belt, turned the key and moved off... habit locked in - and just for a fraction of a second - made me think 'cigarette' - and I dismissed it straight away! The second was not too long ago, having been out to a nice meal with the family and when the coffee was served, that 'cigarette thought' re-appeared... But you know what? It was followed immediately by my brain saying to me "Cigarette? But you DON'T smoke".

Then I KNEW I had won - and it feels GREAT!!!
europa