All more the reason at least for a woman or man, to become comfortable living...by themselves/be alone for long periods of time, at various stages in their lives or after death of a loved one. Even for those of us who have loving, faithful sexual relationships, a loved one will not be alive anymore in the future. I don't mean to be negative about the future, but facing the future with courage, frees a person to plan ahead, build inner strength and live their lives/marriage well..now.

It doesn't preclude good, non-sexual and caring friendships when a person is not "coupled". Not at all.

Some people are not adulterous but they enter into marriages or long-term sexual partnerships ...because they don't want to live alone or financially don't want to be alone. Like my partner's brother...a genuinely great guy but now on his ..5th woman...it is his 3rd marriage. He's in his mid-50's. The latest marriage is more of an obligation..and love to support his birth child with wife. It is clear to my dearie and myself as outsiders, the marriage chemistry between the 2, isn't quite there.

I appreciate these summary stories of some members who have learned and grown from their experiences. There were times I seriously questioned my own misunderstood "selfishness" for not moving in to live with my dearie for several years after we met. I questioned myself why i wanted to keep my own home, not share a household. But in hindsight, I'm glad it was a far better decision that tested the fidelity of our relationship, confirmed my own financial independence (and his), yet gave him space in his own home, to raise his then teenage children post-divorce. Certainly it was more stable household environment for his children growing up and trying to readjust. He is satisfied how that all worked out also. We actually feel, we both avoided alot more familial headache and tension.

There are alot of societal expectations that a faithful couple in love must somehow HAVE to marry/ live under same roof shortly after knowing one another. It's better to have lots of time to ..know and grow with one another with alot trust, communication and respect along the way before a firmer committment is made. And I know for some, "firmer" means marriage. To me, fidelity, respect and communication means far more.

maybe there might be a more philosophical debate on what defines a 'marriage'. We have all the answers here, don't we? crazy cool