Originally Posted By: Josie
Would you, boomer people, ever "be with" another man (whatever "be with" means to you) if your current one died or left you?

Have you read all our replies? Several of us interpreted the question quite broadly as to be with another man..who also is a partner in every sense of the word.

It would be a mistake that for 2 people who have been sexually faithful and respectful to one another, been part of each's family activities for many years, that their relationship is viewed as "less" than a legal marriage or less enrichening psychologically than a legal marriage.

The only thing now, is in the eyes of the law that elevates a legal marriage over others...is access to property rights/assets/benefits. Certain there are marriages that appear loving, when in fact there was a whole other agenda of financial convenience and total dependence of 1 partner on another person's income and dependent partner does not take steps to understand about budgeting, etc.

My response is: every woman and man needs to earn money and learn how invest/save money properly for long term. I have little patience now for women or men who take no responsiblity to learn how to budget/invest or get reliable/trustworthy help with objective expertise. This would relieve alot of situations that lead to such "marriages" which there are long-term financial dependencies ...which down the road some people are afraid to leave a bad marriage or feel they cannot fulfill their dreams (if they need money to return back to school, start up biz) or messy court settlement cases on division of assets in a divorce or lose health care insurance. (latter less of an issue in Canada.)

Then 2 partners can focus more on growing as individuals in their goodness and strengths together.

How many marriages can survive what my relationship has survived: where he and I lived had to live 3,000 kms. apart for 2.5 years? Many couples cannot conceive of this..I suppose it must the bodily and spiritual that must be joined together every day. I chose for the sake of my career to stay in 1 city and he was forced to relocate by his employer or lose a huge hunk of his pension and not be able to pay child custody... let's get real here.

We've been together as a couple for nearly 18 consecutive years. smile

What is far more important ...is still not the wedding ring nor piece of paper is how the fidelity, respect and deep sharing of a life together is lived every day in a spirit that each person helps the other grow better.