Ciao-Ciao, WELCOME! We're so glad you've joined us. I've always wondered if the rebound would be a good exerciser. I might try that in addition to my walking each day. I've bumped up the time to 45 minutes instead of 30. It was time.

Orchid, you asked about my diet. I am following a Weight Watchers program of counting points, although I am not a WW member. I just count the points that food has in it, watch the calories and fat content, and I TOTALLY do NOT

a) eat out at fast food places
b) drink any sodas (That's what you all call them, I call them cokes)
c) eat real sugar
d) eat white bread of ANY kind
e) eat chips
f) eat chocolate unless it is within my points and then only a small amount...and dark
g) eat regular mayo (only Hellmans lite)
h) eat after a certain time in the evening
i) snack late at night...at all!
j) use salt (I use sea-salt sparingly)

and many more things. This isn't a diet. It is a lifestyle change. I intend to do this from now on. I fix all of my meals and being prepared ahead of time makes the difference. It keeps one from grabbing what is handy, or readily available...like snack foods, chips, processed foods, etc.

I eat very little meat and if I do, it's chicken (baked) or fish (which I don't really care for)...so I have eaten enough chicken to lay eggs. But I eat like a horse and have great meals.

Yesterday for instance, I had cooked cauliflower with cheese, baked chicken, slaw w/Hellman's mayo & tomatoes/onions. It was 7 points. Then supper was a turkey sandwich on wheat bread with dijon mustard, sweet pickles, lettuce/onion, chips (special kind) with red peach salsa, water. Yum! Yum! 4 points.

For dessert I have either chocolate pudding (fat-free), watermelon, or some fruit, or a banana popsicle, or maybe a fruit tart. They vary from one point to two.
It's working! Everyone has to do what works for them. I was eating fried foods, greasy foods, and eating late at night. The handwriting was on the wall.

I knew diabetes was in my future if I didn't start taking care of myself. So...I committed to a lifestyle change.

I also set myself up with a small, reachable goal of 30 pounds to start with...which I reached a week ago. Then, I put a new goal in place. Another 30. After that, the goals will get smaller, but obtaining them will still remain HIGH priority for me. By Christmas I may be where I want to be, healthwise.

I LOVE fruits, veggies, and cooking, so it was relatively easy for me to do this, but when on vacation this past week, I did indulge in some pizza (3 whole pieces) and I had some brews while laying around the pool. I had to...I'm pretty sure it is a law somewhere.

Now...it's back to my commitment to myself.

Someone mentioned the smoking thing. My daddy told me once that when I was ready to quit, I would. I would simply lay them down. I protested...I said, "But you don't know how hard, bla...bla...bla." He just held up his hand and repeated, "when you are READY, you will lay them down." He was right. I quit six years ago (maybe longer?) and when I was READY, realllllllly ready and wasn't making excuses, I laid them down. PERIOD. End of smoking. I've never smoked another one.

Forgive my long post. They don't call me the Mouth of the South for nothing.