Originally Posted By: humlan
Dotsie..I´ve been a runner for almost half my life..but now my knees are giving me trouble..big time..so I´ve had to give that up..probably forever. I do check in on a site for runners/walkers etc etc..and they keep telling me not to give up with my knee. I may still run anyway..but I doubt it.

I loved running..I started when my daughter died..many years ago..and I loved it. I stopped now..well..a few years ago..but..it´s still there in my blood..so we´ll see. Maybe I can walk and jog someday..who knows?

I think it´s kinda cute that you don´t do any "sport"..I mean..do we HAVE to, to be SOMEONE??? To ourselves or anyone else? You are just cute and thoroughly human. blush Not to mention that all that walking is actually a sport in itself!!!!

Agree that walking is most definitely a sport.

Wow, humlan you never mentioned your running history. I tried jogging as a teenager for 1 summer. At that time I hated it.

Not sure if I jog now. Who knows. I'm just happy on the bike and when I'm off bike, walking/hiking around. We do live at the foot of multi-purpose flat path that winds over 20 kms. through the downtown area..one goes past waterfront marinas, see mountains in distance, several bridges..and yes, you can also jog/bike through the 2010 winter Olympics athlete's village right now. There's a andonized steel walking bridge there in the shape of abstract-like kayak! You will probably see it on tv..unless I provide a link.

So there are alot of joggers, cyclists and walkers right in downtown VAncouver, as soon as I step out the front door. It's quite unavoidable and that activity can be quite motivating/inspiring to see.

Cycling and knees....bike fit is important here, plus saddle height. Most joggers with damaged knees...actually switch to cycling to keep up their cardiovascular fitness. And of course. I met a Canadian past-Olympic gymnast, who actually switched to cycling to keep fit, instead of jogging and other stuff.

Maybe there's something for aquabatics, Dotsie? I knew a woman from previous workplace over 60, who had some significant back problems. (they were recommending orthopedic surgery, which she felt was a drastic measure.) So she took aquabatics, did some specialized exercises in water upon recommendation of physical therapist. And on top of that she bought a folding bike and biked to work ..only 6 mile round trip. But nevertheless, it was an impressive recovery which took several months for her.

She also has 4 grown adult children. In her teen years, she was involved in gymnastics. It is never to late, like cyclinggal said. And no, one does not have to practice any sport to be anything. But aren't we as boomers, more viewing sport within the context of our own future quality of health and life? I wanna to reduce pain of aging when I get frail. And the best way, I can see..to do enjoyable exercise now.

I was your geek girl in public and high school. Not particularily coordinated. Sports was never my thing. However I do have fond memories of addictive playing of softball games with other girls...on a cement diamond. (No grass on our playground) for 2 years. Then I didn't play any of it thereafter. And I played best and least self-consciously when I was in all-girl teams/games, not co-ed teams. I did try out for field hockey in lst year of high school, but didn't make the team. When I was a teenager I was an enthuastic TV hockey game viewer, like many Canadian children were in 1970's to 1980's, when some hockey players from Canada were international hockey stars in the National Hockey League.

ANd throughout all of this, ages 11-19 yr. I would ride the single speed bike shared with 2 other sisters. I only rode about 2-3 miles each time.

So no great history of physical activity in past. I have met many women who became regular cyclists in mid-life after being geek-girls like myself.

Above all, find sports that also jive with your personality profile so that you stick to it. Team sports is not my thing since I find "confined" and less flexible to meet my personal schedule. However cycling can be group oriented, if one is lucky to find some cycling pals. I'd rather practice a sport where I don't constantly need the presence of other people, to stick with it. Otherwise, it's not going to help myself, in the long run.

This is also why fitness classes of anything have only worked for me for a short, defined time period. I just like to take whatever I learn from the course...and modify it for my own purposes on my own in the future.