Hi Barbara S and welcome to our community. We're so glad you've joined us! My sister had hip replacement surgery and so I know first-hand of the recovery period and what all it entails. God love you, it is a somewhat slow process, but she is so much better today and says it was worth every minute of the recovery period.

Since you are a writer, do you also enjoy reading and movies? Organizing things could take up quite a bit of time as well. Like in one of my own "down time" periods, I took one drawer in the kitchen every day and organized it. Talk about purging...geeish.

Also, you could watch some of those movies you've been wanting to see, or read that book you've been putting off.

What about trying your hand at a new craft? Art? Beading? Candle making? Just a thought. Do you have a musical instrument you've been wanting to try like a clarinet? I wouldn't suggest the drums or piano, too much hip movement.

You might even want to think about writing a 500-word article on recover from hip surgery and submit it for payment to a medical magazine...or health magazine...just some more thoughts.

Whatever you do, we're glad you're here!