This morning on my Philadelphia local news, there was a story about this designer (Lagos) jewelry store in the area which once a year has a 5 day 50% off sale. You can buy a $1000 necklace for only $500, or an $800 ring for $400, etc. They showed people lining up from early this morning to catch these "bargains."

Inauguration tickets (normally free) are being snapped up quickly at up to thousands of dollars a pop.

Although a number of people are being laid off, although a number of people over-used their plastic and are now at the mercy of greedy banks who charge high interest rates on balances, although stocks have lost value because companies and Congress made poor financial decisions, although excess has caught up with many of us .... Most people (94%) are still working, cars are being sold every day despite the headlines, mall parking lots are still full especially on weekends, restaurants still have waiting lines especially on Friday and Saturday nights, and high ticket items are still being purchased for Christmas.

My husband and I grew up financially poor, so making soup for dinner does not make us feel like we are starving. Spending less for Christmas presents does not make us feel like we are next to bankruptcy. SAVING instead of spending does not make us feel like we are going broke. It is normal. I pack my husband's lunch so he doesn't have to buy big city restaurant meals. Neither of us drinks or smokes. We usually take "stay-cations" instead of going-away vacations. We eat out a couple of times a week, and we now go to cheapo buffets more often than nicer restaurants. If we had to cut restaurants out altogether for a long time, no biggie.

If things ever got bad enough that we had to sell the house for any price because we could not afford to live in it, we'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd feel badly, but living in a tiny apartment or a rooming house is not new to either of us.

Don't get me wrong. I love my nice neighborhood and my Mercedes. But I'd live over a store in town with no car or a junker if I had to. My point is that as long as he and I are willing to do whatever we had to in order to survive, we'd do it. (It'd have to be legal of course. lol)

Apparently the attitude can be very different for some whose habits are governed by excess and entitlements.

I am NOT talking about the aged, the truly indigent & handicapped, and those who suffer sudden disaster through no fault of their own.

Hubby and I have not slacked off on those who need a hand-up (not a handout) One of the effects of recent times is that those in our families who are medically very disabled, have not been able to afford the recent super high gasoline prices to get to the doctor or stroke rehab center.. While it was hard enough for my husband and me, it was much harder on them. So I used a significant portion of our gas money to help. When my brother's car died from old age, we pulled out our savings to buy them a decent car and assure that my brother's wife would have the means to be at the stroke rehab center with my brother every day.

I'm now glad that my husband and I suffered through hard times growing up. Because now, looking at what some think are hard times, we feel positively wealthy in the knowledge that no matter what, we are happy to make due.

Tonight is Friday night, and we'll split a pizza (partially paid by coupon), sit on the recliner sofa, hold hands, and watch TV or a DVD movie together. Not much can be better than that in my opinion.